Thread: Olde School Screwdriver

Cool Olde School Screwdriver

Wanted something that would drive them old screws home...
    Mitre Box Rehab, plate installed.JPG
    As that one was not getting it done...kept jumping up out of the slots....trying to stab me hand, it were....

Millers Falls Mitre Box was made......almost the same place as..
    Mitre Box Rehab, Goodell Pratt screwdriver.JPG
    Goodell Pratt Company had their Greenfield, MA. factory at. And, back in the mid 1930s, Millers Falls bought out G-P......or so the story goes.

This brace used a loop to shift gears...FWD, LOCKED, Reverse....Still works like new.....and...them screws do NOT talk back to it...

And you thought a brace was just for drilling holes....

G-P No. 408, 8" sweep patent date is DEC 27 , 1892
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-14-2021 at 9:58 PM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    And you thought a brace was just for drilling holes....
    Nah, Got a lot of things with a tang on the end:

Finished Bit Holder.jpg

And you don't need a brace to hold things with an auger tang:

Gimlet in Chuck Handle.jpg

Here it is holding a gimlet, but it is also handy for screw and nut drivers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I’ve often said (and demonstrated more than once) that a brace makes a fantastic high-torque screwdriver. It’ll easily drive big lag screws that cause my 1/2 inch Makita cordless drill/driver to stall out.

I will now (thank you kindly gentlemen) start watching for bits that can fit in my augers and drive threaded things rather than just make holes. Of course people wanted nut and screwdrivers before there were electric drills. Some days around here I am rather forcefully remonded I am a moron. I shall not look at my call schedule to see about scheduling a rust hunt, I will just go when I can.

Thanks Mr. Newman et al.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bulatowicz View Post
    I’ve often said (and demonstrated more than once) that a brace makes a fantastic high-torque screwdriver. It’ll easily drive big lag screws that cause my 1/2 inch Makita cordless drill/driver to stall out.
    A couple of extensions in a brace lets me tighten deck screws without having to bend down or get on my knees.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

A better question is where do you get flat head screws to work with those old drivers?

I can't find them anywhere these days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    A better question is where do you get flat head screws to work with those old drivers?

I can't find them anywhere these days.
    You might have to special order them. My favorites are 1-1/4" #8 brass wood screws. These work great for joinery on the typical 1X lumber sold in the big box stores and local lumber yards.

My main local supplier for fasteners is > https://vancouverbolt.com < There are likely fastener suppliers in major cities around the world.

BTW, there are phillips head bits. They are just less common.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-17-2021 at 1:12 PM.