Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20" Planer

20" Planer

I’m currently in the market for a 20″ planer for my shop, but it seems that new machines are months away from being in-stock. Looking for advice/ tips for finding used machines. I’ve been searching facebook and craiglists daily, but I haven’t had much success. Also been in touch with Atkins Machinery and other machinery suppliers, but I haven't had much luck. Are there any particular online auctions or estate sale websites for used machinery that people have had found to be reliable or is it luck of the draw with finding the right equipment? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-15-2021 at 9:00 AM. Reason: Defaulted text so it's readable on large monitors

Location?
    more words to make the count

It is largely just luck of the draw. Good deals go quick, so keep a good eye out and be patient. Expand your search area if you can. Check daily or twice daily if you can. The other thing to consider is it may be months before you find a deal you're happy with, so if time is more of a factor than money, it may be best to just order something and endure the wait time.

If you are in the USA search tempest is a good tool.
    Bill D

Only $375 for a real planer, what a deal. Probably near you.
    Bill D.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tl...401387729.html

A little further from you
    https://medford.craigslist.org/tls/d...400870802.html

further yet only $150 for a real cast iron 12" rockwell
    https://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/d...406122066.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-14-2021 at 9:07 PM.

Google has a long list of used woodworking machinery dealers and sites.

The woodweb machinery exchange is worth checking out.

Check Grizzly’s site. Their 20” extreme helical planer has an in stock eta of 11/24 as of today.

My brother has a green powermatic 225 for sale in Kansas. It's 3 phase, 10 hp, I think. 24" or 25" - it's a beast. I'll put you in touch if interested.

A little WD-40 and a lot of elbow grease and you got a great boat anchor :-)

Why do the responders seem to think the op is in the USA and not Russia/Norway/Sweden?
    Bill D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barents_Sea

Mentioning you location would help a bunch.

Here is a 20" planer for $825 in Crecent City CA.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7-2822e6addd37

Bill, why do you think he’s in Scandinavia? In his first post he mentions Atkins Machinery, which is a big dealer in New Hampshire.

Looking at their website under used machinery you can see a really nice SCMI S520 with a Tersa head. That’s about as good as it gets for a 20” planer, in my opinion. No price listed - I would imagine it’s $7-10k based on similar listings.

Im genuinely curious how you came to a possible conclusion that he’s from Scandinavia

Regarding the actual question from the OP - you really just have to look hard, fast and often to find the right deals. I’m far from the only one who does this I’m sure, but I have been consistently watching online classifieds of various sources for the better part of the last 10 years and I simply keep the tabs open on my computer / phone of each of the sites with the listings / key word searches and update once or twice a day to keep up with what is being listed. Searching far and wide regularly and being willing to drive a bit will help your chances. There have been times where I’ve found what I’m looking for (usually something pretty specific) in a month of hard searching and there are times where I’ve searched for over a year for the right deal (machine specs, price, location, etc)

Do you have 3 phase / phase conversion capacity? 20” is a size of planer where you will find a lot of 3 phase machines and the single phase machines are fewer unless looking for something like a Taiwanese machine, which is also fine if that’s what you’re looking for.

I have also had some good fortune from posting wanted ads on certain classifieds with the parameters of what you’re looking for, not mentioning price in the ad and evaluating what comes from that. My bandsaw and sliding table saw came to me that way.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 11-20-2021 at 8:11 AM.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Why do the responders seem to think the op is in the USA and not Russia/Norway/Sweden?
    Bill D.
    Because an individual's name doesn't indicate where they live, Bill. As has been pointed out, there is information in the OP that also is relevant.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Im genuinely curious how you came to a possible conclusion that he’s from Scandinavia

I never heard of that company and I misremembered his last name as Barents as a joke. Looking it up now I wonder why a textile machine company would sell a wood planer?
    Bill D

https://atkinsmachinery.com/machinery-inventory/