Thread: clean up of old Starret square

clean up of old Starret square

I looked through the files and could not find anything and i was sure there was info here, but...

I have a very old ruler from a Starrett would like to clean up. Appears more grungy than rust to my eye. Looking for suggestions to clean the best way.

Thanks.
    Brian
    Brian

I’ve heard of putting in new ink to make the increment lines easier to see. I suggest you will find what you need if you find that.
    Via google

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I’ve heard of putting in new ink to make the increment lines easier to see. I suggest you will find what you need if you find that.
    Via google
    I looked, but too many opinions. Brian
    Brian

My go to for all things clean up of dirty grungy metal is my pedastal grinder with scotch brite wheel. If it’s really bad it hits the wire wheel first.

I have several that I've cleaned up using a grey scotch-brite pad and a little light elbow grease. Very easy and quick.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Like Matt I've used a very fine grit Scotch Brite wheel which really shines the metal making for a good contrast assuming the black paint on the lines are still good. Definitely do not use a wire wheel.

I would start with water, to get any sand off. Then dry it, spray it with WD-40 and wipe it with a paper towel.

It could be satin chrome finish, and it would be a shame to scratch it with abrasive tools if you just need to get some crud off it. If it isn't satin chrome finish, it could be rust. I don't know how to deal with that. I use the old rusty Starrett square blades for carpentry.

In the Starrett factory they wipe the paint on, then clean off the excess with solvent. My cousin worked there doing that for a few years.

If it is Starrett, it is a good chance is is a satin chrome finish. I owned a machine shop for years and the way to clean up a rule is a soft cloth and some type of light oil. We use WD-40, 3 n 1 or even way oil. Apply the oil and then wipe it off. There will be areas that still have build up, apply the oil again and let it sit for a bit so it softens the grunge. Wipe it off again. Starrett makes a product for re-blacking rules and micrometers, but I haven't been successful in locating it in the last few years.

Robertshaw made "Dial refresh" or "dial color fill" paint to repaint the etched lines in their thermostats. No idea if it is still made.
    For rust I like EDTA in water.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-15-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Blue Dykem is what I was taught to use in shop class in the Navy. Put it onto the rule liberally to fill the engraved lines, and then use something flat and stiff to wrap a thin cloth around with some acetone on the cloth to wipe the dykem off of the rule leaving the engraved lines filled with dry dykem.
    I have done this on my steel rules and it works well.

used some cleaner I have in the shop I use to clean my saw blades, let it soak overnight. Got the idea here and it is dollar general yellow cleaner. Then just brushed it with a metal brush in the drill press. 1 is after soaking and brushing with a brass brush. 2 is after the wire brush. Think I might wax it? This was my Fathers square he used at work as a machinist in a Bucyrus Erie plant in Evansville, IN.

Starrett 1.jpgStarrett 2.jpg
    Brian