Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dados on table saw vs Groover on shaper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    you have a groover set that goes from 17/64 = .2656 and all the way to 25/32 which is .7813 ??

Then what do you do with 1/4" bottoms or others that are never 1/4", last baltic I measured was .2305

My Galt which are drilled out to 1 1/4" for shapers go to .2285 which pretty much covers all the new world stuff. Every Dadoe manufacturer will be a bit different, these were my first set long ago. I use 3/8 for most drawer bottoms not a concern for me. Usually back cut.

Your 17/64 wont cut it for a 1/4 or less bottom.

Insert cut cleaner, on the example shown back of a drawer at the bottom dadoes will do that fine, maybe not as clean but close.

Safer as well dropping on, coming from dadoe blades from the beginning im used to that so better is a bonous. This stuff wasnt around back then.

If I read this right you need two to three adjustable groover sets to cover the range the Galt 8" Dadoes.
    4 to 15 is a common 3pc groover size. 8 to 15, 12 to 24, 20 to 40, 25 to 50 and 30 to 60 are all readily available, along with center plates to expand the range on some of the groovers.

Thanks all for the input! Very much appreciated.

can you explain that, I typed up a response last night and it timed out and was lost so much for the time, Based on one manufacturer to cut from a drawer bottom to a 3/4" dadoe you would need four sets. Ive only ever seen them come in two pieces.

Are you saying the set shown is three pieces or four pieces or you are buying two sets. I typed all all the ranges from one manufacturer and from low to high there were four sets, maybe I didnt see some overlap size wise

Give me a bottom number to a top number in groovers one set can do. Baltic Birch quarter measured .2305 and my dadoes two chippers were .2285 and go up to or over 13/16".
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 11-15-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    can you explain that, I typed up a response last night and it timed out and was lost so much for the time, Based on one manufacturer to cut from a drawer bottom to a 3/4" dadoe you would need four sets. Ive only ever seen them come in two pieces.

Are you saying the set shown is three pieces or four pieces or you are buying two sets. I typed all all the ranges from one manufacturer and from low to high there were four sets, maybe I didnt see some overlap size wise

Give me a bottom number to a top number in groovers one set can do. Baltic Birch quarter measured .2305 and my dadoes two chippers were .2285 and go up to or over 13/16".
    There are a bunch of manufacturers that make a 3 peice groover set that cuts a groove from 4mm (.157") to 15mm (.590") the 3pc set consists of two 4mm outer plates and a 7mm center plate.

There are other sets (2pc) in various widths where you can buy a additional center plate. Though those are less common.

Blog Entries

Look at the link I posted above. 1 set with 3 cutters. (In reality 1 set with an optional 3rd cutter).

I have six sets of dadoes five manufactures. My first set will let a cabinetmaker make a living and cover all they need to do from drawer bottom slots at what used to be 1/4 Ply up to 13/16", 3/4" really as that was a standard shelf size. im asking and think based on that there are no set of groovers that can do that. You are into multiple sets so that being the case then multiple cost.

The dadoes cost likely 250.00 or whatever they are these days. When I looked at one large manufacturer and took the time to convert to MM which I dont care about as I see in thous and imperial it appeared you needed four sets to cover what the one set of dadoes could do. Not all dadoes will be the same diff manufacturers are different minimum thickness for the two outsides.

Maybe I read that wrong and dont have time to go over all the measures right now. Its worth the follow up time.

Warren,

Whitehill Tools in particular makes adjustable groovers that cover a pretty wide range of sizes that are typically 3 piece and have shims / incremental adjustments down to 0.5 mm if I remember correctly. Plenty of other tooling companies make similar offerings.

They make one that goes 4-15mm (that’s basically 5/32” - 9/16+) and another goes from 15-29mm (which is 1 1/8+ on the top end.) There are many other combinations of sizes they make in addition but that’s just 2 examples. You would need to buy 2 sets to cover the same (more on the high end) size as a normal dado stack, but you have potentially a lot more adjustability within that range and arguably a better quality cut, though a power feeder on a TS with dado stack could be very nice. These groovers are more $$ than a dado set typically.

In my mind both are useful and valuable as there are plenty of times where the spindle height is a clear limitation to how far in from the edge you can cut and takes the shaper out of the picture, but also times where I would rather run stock of certain sizes through a power feeder on a shaper than over a dado blade.

Why not have both if possible?
    Still waters run deep.

I have some smaller groovers and they work fine. They dont have as much resistance hand feeding as dadoes then they have more than high speed steel.

Basically what im hearing is there is no set of groover than can match the dadoe blades ive listed. That is what im trying to get clear on. Compare your costs in what you spend to get new tech to do what old school stuff could do. Too often new is better in some ways then falls down in other ways. I buy stuff as needed.

Lets get clear on cost of groovers and what you have to buy total to do what this set of dadoes can do

Blog Entries
    I have some smaller groovers and they work fine. They dont have as much resistance hand feeding as dadoes then they have more than high speed steel.

Basically what im hearing is there is no set of groover than can match the dadoe blades ive listed. That is what im trying to get clear on. Compare your costs in what you spend to get new tech to do what old school stuff could do. Too often new is better in some ways then falls down in other ways. I buy stuff as needed.

Lets get clear on cost of groovers and what you have to buy total to do what this set of dadoes can do
    $400+ on the 3 plate groovers, $300-$500 on the 2 plate groovers (generally)

They are insert heads though so they will never wear out, you just replace the inserts when dull.

I have been using the groovers on my spindle moulder. they are very good if you have long pieces.

I have never used dado and I dont think I can ever have one... none of the saws I had allows dado, even the latest saw I ordered from SCM, top of the line L'Invincibile, you can't use dado on it. I was a bit surprised so I look up Felder Kappa 590 - same thing. it seems if the blade can tilt both ways then you cant have dado.

what groovers will allow you to cover what you need to make furniture and at what cost??

Less than 1/4" to more than 3/4" as you are going need that range.

Still not answered, extra cutter so what its still short of the higher dimension in other words its not answered. Im old school tooling with new stuff added as needed. Too often old school does more, maybe not as safe and maybe not as clean, maybe cleaner at times. Glad I learned on that stuff The dadoes allowed me to do all ive needed over time.

Blog Entries
    what groovers will allow you to cover what you need to make furniture and at what cost??

Less than 1/4" to more than 3/4" as you are going need that range.

Still not answered, extra cutter so what its still short of the higher dimension in other words its not answered. Im old school tooling with new stuff added as needed. Too often old school does more, maybe not as safe and maybe not as clean, maybe cleaner at times. Glad I learned on that stuff The dadoes allowed me to do all ive needed over time.
    You need at least 2 sets to go from 1/4 to 3/4.

Cheapest you could do that would be about $750.

Without looking into it in great detail, I expect Jared's numbers are very close.

The other advantage of adjustable Groovers is they will always remain the same diameter as you don't grind away carbide to sharpen them, and thus slightly change the diameter. Depending on how you use the groover, this could be critical or not, but it worth thinking about.

you need "at least" two sets so that means three?

Brent you are saying that two sets in whitehill will cover the dadoe set so that is positive but still people should go in knowing. The cost will be a minimum of triple or more to do the same range these dadoes can do.

change in outside diameter not an issue, changes in any side of tooth from sharpening only works in your favour on the bottom number and wont matter in the top number. The low on my dadoe sets are all different some dont go low enough to cover the thin materials yet the Galts cover it all. From drawer bottom to fixed dadoe.

thanks on that info

Quoting myself from earlier in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Warren,

Whitehill Tools in particular makes adjustable groovers that cover a pretty wide range of sizes that are typically 3 piece and have shims / incremental adjustments down to 0.5 mm if I remember correctly. Plenty of other tooling companies make similar offerings.

They make one that goes 4-15mm (that’s basically 5/32” - 9/16+) and another goes from 15-29mm (which is 1 1/8+ on the top end....You would need to buy 2 sets to cover the same (more on the high end) size as a normal dado stack...
    I don’t think a single person is saying that adjustable groovers on a shaper are more cost effective than a dado set. There are some minimal perks that you could say about grooving on a shaper vs dado stack on TS with parts that have grooves that are close enough to an edge to fit within capacity of a shaper, especially with a feeder on the shaper and no feeder on the TS, but you are absolutely going to be into it for 2-3x the initial price for 2 adjustable groovers that can go slightly beyond the range of a typical dado stack. Modern shaper tooling is expensive compared to saw blades.

I will say that my experience having both is that the groover makes a more consistent and cleaner cut especially with a feeder, but also the actual cut quality.

I still maintain that both are extremely useful and valuable and I’m not sure anyone has said to do away with your dado stack absolutely in favor of a groover.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 11-15-2021 at 5:10 PM.
    Still waters run deep.