Thread: Holiday project ideas?

Holiday project ideas?

Sometimes I make small boxes. Or picture frames.

Other ideas members have for small gift items?

Preference given to ideas that I can knock about 10 out easily. Or better yet, something that runs on the CNC

What are your ‘go to’ gift designs?

I make close to one hundred Christmas ornaments for friends and family every year which normally takes up most of my time during the season. This year however I am going to make two Gum Ball Machines, copies of one that my Dad and I made many years ago. Jackie asked me to make one for each of our daughters this year. Both my daughters enjoyed our gum ball machine while they were growing up and my grand daughter has become quite fond of it as well these last few years. Maybe I will make three so my grand daughter will have one of her own later on. The picture below is our gum ball machine that is probably close to 35 years old now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-14-2021 at 8:37 AM.

I’m actually going to break down and try my hand at the proverbial cutting boards for some friends.

I'm also looking for good ideas. I like to make things that are useful, not just decorative. My biggest crowd-pleasers have been: (1) pizza cutters, using the kits from Rockler; (2) one-piece cutting boards, using wide shorts. I meant to do some bandsaw boxes this year, but didn't get around to it. Wine stoppers I made several years ago all disappeared, that is, no one used them.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Bob,

I made a truckload of these cutting boards many years ago in every color of the rainbow.
    cutting boards_1807.jpg

Pizza peels and cutters are a great way to use up scrap wood. I don't use any kit for the cutters just some scrap hardwood.
    pizza.jpg

These are popular with the people I give them to. The gears for these are hand cut on a scroll saw. Done on a CNC using one of the plastics or some such would make them a breeze to make. The CNC would eliminate the hand fitting of the gear teeth to give them a smooth spin. When noticed very few people can resist giving them a spin.
    Attached Images Attached Images