Thread: DC Configuration

DC Configuration

I want to make a new stand for my dust collector. I plan on making a stand out of unistrut. Figured it would be solid and easy to put together with the available clips and spring nuts. Plus it would be adjustable for miner adjustments.

I am wanting to put a piece of flex hose between my catch barrel and the dust deputy. Trouble is I need to raise the motor quite a ways and I don't have that kind of height in my shop. So I have been thinking about changing the configuration of the dc pieces.

Here is a photo of my current set up...with the motor connected directly to the deputy...this works pretty good but it's a hassle to empty the catch barrel...have to lift it up and hold it to get the lock ring on it. I would need to raise the motor to get a flex hose between the deputy and barrel...to far.

And here is a photo of a different configuration of the pieces. Motor is hooked directly to the filter and then I can use a piece of flex between the motor inlet and the deputy. I can also just leave the lid fastened to the deputy beings the deputy would have some movement to it with the flex on top.

Easier to empty the barrel
    Don't have to worry so much about the height of the unit.

I'm asking for insights, suggestions, thoughts about this new configuration.
    Will it work with the flex between the deputy and blower motor ?

Comments please
    Thanks

current layout.jpgnew layout.jpg

Does the configuration in the second picture show all of the available height, or is there more wiggle room?

I run the first setup you described with flex hose between the dust deputy and collection barrel, highly recommended if you can pull it off. The flex hose makes the barrel easy to open, there is no wear and tear on the SDD which remains stationary with rigid pipe to the motor, and it's easy to see when the barrel is full. Plus it's just fun to watch the dust swirl down through the flex hose while planing!

You may have some of the same benefits with flex between the SDD and motor but IMO your first idea of flex between the SDD and barrel is worth attempting even if it means finding a more squat barrel.

You definitely should have some flex hose between the cyclone and drop barrel. Since your barrel is blocked up off the floor, why not get rid of the blocking and add a short section of hose? In your second layout, if you raise the cyclone so the outlet is the same height as the blower inlet you can use a larger barrel and use rigid pipe or a shorter, straight section of flex for less resistance.

Thanks for the suggestions
    The height is a real problem for me. I have 7' ceilings in my basement and I would have to raise the motor to 80" to get a short section of flex between the SDD and barrel. The straight collars take up several inches in that configuration.

This is what I am leaning toward, but more compact between the motor inlet and SDD , with either flex hose or some of that steel flex pipe.

In the second configuration I could go higher with the motor to use a larger / taller barrel. The connection between the motor and SDD is a 90 , so I would have to have the SDD a little lower that the motor.
    new way 2.JPGnew way.jpg

Thought I would share my update to this project. I built a new stand using Uni Strut. I relocated the unit , added some height , and kept the same configuration. It all worked out well and I'm happy I upgraded my setup. new stand .jpgnew stand 1.jpgnew location 1.jpgnew location 2.jpg

Not the easiest to see in this photo, but I have mine setup in the temporary shop side by side as you propose. I did mount to the wall, but it should still be possible for you to construct with unistrut. It may actually be more stable since it will be rectangular and can use center supports for six contacts with the floor in your proposed idea.

No details in this one but it provides the general idea of where I was going during the setup:

Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-22-2021 at 8:55 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That should make it easier to disconnect the dust bin and give you a visual check on its fill level. The longer the drop from the cyclone the better as it can save clogging the filter if the drum is accidentally overfilled.

I have what looks like the same 1 HP dust collector and Dust Deputy as Jim. One thing I have experienced is, at least for my hobby use, that you don't need a big or any collection container after the filter. I located my filter on the bottom where the bag is normally located and put a removable plate on top so I can look in to see how much dust has collected and vacuum it out when necessary. After about a year I had a small accumulation of dust in the filter which I vacuumed out in a few minutes. Here's a picture of my set up and the amount of dust collected after a year.
    DC 1.jpgDC 2.jpgDC 3.jpg

The DC I'm using is a 1.5hp Delta, but it's been sufficient for my temporary shop using 5" clamp together duct and the SDD. That small bin is a pain, however, when I'm milling lumber! I can fill a 55 gallon drum lickety split, so that 35 gallon doo-jobbie fills in a flash...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The DC I'm using is a 1.5hp Delta, but it's been sufficient for my temporary shop using 5" clamp together duct and the SDD. That small bin is a pain, however, when I'm milling lumber! I can fill a 55 gallon drum lickety split, so that 35 gallon doo-jobbie fills in a flash...
    What exactly is the mathematical relationship between lickety split and a flash??

Even though it fills much more quickly, it sure is much less of a back breaker to empty the 35 gallon drum instead of the 55 gallon one, though. No way I could lift the contents of the larger one.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    What exactly is the mathematical relationship between lickety split and a flash??

Even though it fills much more quickly, it sure is much less of a back breaker to empty the 35 gallon drum instead of the 55 gallon one, though. No way I could lift the contents of the larger one.
    LOL yea...they are both quick and likely interchangeable terms.

I actually agree with your second point, especially since I now have to bag and put the bin debris in the trash at this property...I can't put the bin on the tractor loader and cart it off to compost somewhere on the property here like I could at our old place. I'm not doing as much work right now so it's not been an issue and given most of my projects will likely be smaller now, it may even stay that way.
    --