Thread: Measuring scoring blade thickness

Measuring scoring blade thickness

I'm finally setting up the scoring blade on my K3 and when reading around on scoring blade thickness it sounds like the scoring blade should be .1 to .2mm thicker than the primary blade. My scoring blade stacks with spacers like a miniature dado but I'm not confident in how I'm measuring the thickness of it. I'm trying with calipers now at the widest tooth point on each side of the blade but it's a bit tricky to measure with some calipers as there is a lot of wobble. How do you guys measure and set these up? .1 - .2mm is the narrowest of margins.

I go by results. If the main and scoring blades are perfectly aligned they can be the same thickness but making it and keeping it so is practically impossible, so I add shims until I get a very slight scoring kerf on either side of the main cut line. Experiment works better for me than measurement in this situation.

Gabriel For the scoring blade on my K3 I just used 1 of the thinnest shims (0.1mm) with the Felder Blade (3.2mm) that came with my saw

I can not remember how I figured it out the first time. Now I just transfer the shims to the next scoring set when I switch blades. Then just cuts on scrap melamine until I am happy. I like the scoring blade set up very slightly wider than my main blade. Mine is very close to the same kerf as my main blades, probably just got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Horton View Post
    Gabriel For the scoring blade on my K3 I just used 1 of the thinnest shims (0.1mm) with the Felder Blade (3.2mm) that came with my saw
    Thank you, I'll try that.

If you want to measure the scoring kerf,just score a piece of scrap,and measure it with calipers.You can do the same thing with the main blade,lower the blade so it only leaves a score mark,then measure it the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Neu View Post
    If you want to measure the scoring kerf,just score a piece of scrap,and measure it with calipers.You can do the same thing with the main blade,lower the blade so it only leaves a score mark,then measure it the same way.
    Correct, I use MDF for that, set the scoring blade kerf 0.1mm wider than the main blade and then Center it as best I can…..Rod.