Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical layout for new shop

Something I did was instal 120 outlets about every four feet along the wall but.. They are supplied by two separate breakers. One set is ground up the other set is ground down. That way I can run two 120 tools at the same time like my shop vac and chop saw with out over currents.
    Bill D

What is ground up and ground down? And how does that protect against over current?
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    What is ground up and ground down? And how does that protect against over current?
    probably means ground up receptacles are on circuit 1 and ground down receptacles are on circuit 2. With the two circuits alternating every 4 feet it would be easy to keep the load split up
    Ron

I did what Bill Dufour did in my last shop and it worked fine. Outlet about every 4 ft, alternating circuits between two separate 20 amp 125V breakers. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    I am building a polebarn and I am putting a 20x30 room in for my wood shop, I am trying to decide how to run 220 outlets, I currently have a dust collector, tablesaw, bandsaw, drill press, radial arm saw, and Vertical Mill that all use 220. I am trying to decide how to layout outlet locations. My old shop had all designated outlets for each machine, however I am not sure if that makes sense with my new bigger shop, I am also unsure of layout right now. since I never run more the the dust collector and 1 other machine I am considering putting in like 4 circuits one for each corner. and a designated outlet for dust collector. I would put in outlets like every 6ft to make sure I can move machines around until I find a layout I like.

Any advice on the layout? my old smaller shop I ran the planer out the back door and I think I will keep that concept here (when its warm out) so the planer will be on the top right in the picture. any advice on dust collector placement? I normally use the dust collector on the tablesaw, jointer and planer, I am thinking maybe put the dust collector on the right wall put tablesaw in center and jointer planer can both run out the door for long pieces on top right. However I am open to ideas.
    My father, an electrical engineer by trade, helped me wire my 40 x 40 shop that had a total of 4 outlets (15 amp - 14 gauge) when I moved in 18 years ago. We elected to run 1" conduit around the shop to avoid tearing apart all the drywall. There are two 12 gauge 20 amps circuits in my shop that are divided up geographically. The dust collector and air compressor fell on different circuits. I have never had a circuit trip from being overloaded in 18 years. Having the 5hp compressor kick off while in the middle of running the Lincoln 210 MIG welder on the same circuit doesn't even trip the 20 amp breakers. I did leave pull line in the conduit in case I ever wanted to run multiple 3 phase outlets wired into my rotary phase convertor... VFD's are a lot cheaper now than they were 18 years ago.

The most basic concept to remember when wiring a structure is that the breakers are only there and there only function is to keep the attached wires from heating up, melting the insulation then starting a fire that burns the place down.

I would guess that 4 circuits should be more than plenty for your shop.