Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablet use in the wood shop

Tablet use in the wood shop

Intended use: storage and editing of pdf files for shaper bit tooling, machine setups, manuals with notes/images, stain formulas with images, etc.

I am in need of going "paperless" in the shop, which should be easily done.
    I already have a laptop for CAD/CAM processes. Just thinking a simple, economical tablet is a natural evolution in managing all the above and far more, without physically jeopardizing my main drafting machine, or buying more computing power than necessary.

Envisioning tablet holders to be placed at strategic points near machines at standing eye height, easily navigable to access formulas and setups, similar to a cook and their recipes in the kitchen.

Are you using a tablet this way already?
    What do you like most?
    What do you dislike/wish were better?
    Recommendations for a tablet that's working well for you?

I appreciate your insights,

Jeff

A computing device of any kind can be a valuable asset in the shop. I don't use a tablet, but have one computer permanent in the shop (CNC controller) plus a Macbook Air that I sometimes use at the bench for utility. A tablet would be equally useful, but since I have the other devices, I don't take my iPad out there.

Since I'm in the Apple ecosystem, my personal choice would be the iPad, of course. A good Android based tablet will provide similar utility, but don't go super cheap. You want some processing power so the tablet isn't a "slug" to use...and that's a major problem for many, if not most, of the inexpensive ones. You'll want to pay attention to physical protection a little more, given the environment. I use a very light case on my iPad but would opt for something more protective if I were using it in the shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is what I am using for my shop office. It's a RAM mount system mounted to a Corian solid surface disk. There is only one thumb screw to adjust any angle necessary to place the screen at any comfortable angle on a counter, desk, table or footstool. I am considering a similar configuration for my shop with the mount on top of a microphone stand. A camera tripod won't work for me because of the spread of the legs, I need something that I can easily move around and place close to where I am working.

Another use for the iPad is that it doubles as a video source as long as you can hold it at the right angle to capture the area of interest. My phone is just to small to playback video captured when I am taking things apart that I might not be able to remember how to re-assemble days or weeks later. Old age requires innovation.

iPad Pro Stand.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-11-2021 at 11:33 AM.

I use an iPad in the shop to view drawings, make and use spreadsheets and setup notes as well as using it on a tripod as a video camera.

I also use it to listen to Podcasts in the shop….Rod.

I really like the idea. I don't have that setup in my shop but would really like it. I have a laptop and docking station that is connected to a tv mounted to the wall. I use this for entertainment while in the shop along with viewing my plans. It's not in the most ergonomic space (sits on top of my bandsaw) therefore is a slight pain to use. A tablet would be an amazing addition to my shop. I am a PC guy all the way therefore I would chose the Microsoft Surface Pro all day. I use a Lenovo Thinkpad P1 as a daily work and personal computer and wouldn't use any other device. I need that high spec computer for my day job but docking it in my shop limits it's mobility. The Surface Pro would just be a perfect compliment.

I’m getting some good ideas from this thread. I have wanted some type of tablet for shop use for a while now for tasks such as client emails, browsing / researching / purchasing supplies, referencing specs and drawings, making general project notes beyond paper. I like what you have there as far as mounting the tablet, Keith.

I mostly use my phone for some of these things and clipboards/notebooks with note pads inside for each project in progress and it works ok, but if far from streamlined. I don’t love looking at screens more than I need to, but there are certainly some efficiencies that come from going paperless and leaving the smartphone for communication and music and having a separate device for more operational and organizational tasks.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Since I'm in the Apple ecosystem.....
    I've heard others say that, but I don't know what that means. I assume that means all Apple stuff, but what does that buy you?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I've heard others say that, but I don't know what that means. I assume that means all Apple stuff, but what does that buy you?
    All of my devices (except the CNC control computer which is Windows) are from Apple and work together seamlessly...Mac, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV and AppleWatch. Some folks have "detrimental thoughts" about folks like me that embrace Apple completely, but as a person who had been in the IT and telecom industry for nearly 40 years, I truly appreciate that "works together seamlessly" thing. It's not really about the brand and the logo; rather, it's about the functionality I get. My Apple Watch is essentially my security key at this point...when I sit down at the computer or pull out my phone while wearing a mask, they sense I have the Watch on my person (and authenticated with its passcode) and automatically do the password dance for me. When I'm using messaging, I can start on one device and move between others without blinking. Same thing with, say...email...start on one device and complete on another. Stuff like that I appreciate. There are other things, too, but hopefully, that will help you understand why I like what I have. But to be clear, my needs and appreciations are not necessarily the same as others and my choice might not be the best choice for someone else.
    --

I have an older macbook pro that lives in the shop for viewing videos, CAD work (via Parallels) and controlling my music (via Roon). I sometimes take my iPad out to the shop, but don't much care for typing on the thing and wind up using the macbook instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Simon View Post
    I have an older macbook pro that lives in the shop for viewing videos, CAD work (via Parallels) and controlling my music (via Roon). I sometimes take my iPad out to the shop, but don't much care for typing on the thing and wind up using the macbook instead.
    Typing is a weakness of the phone/tablet world. I found myself needing to create lengthy texts on a small iPhone at one point. Trying to type on that was impossible so I bought a folding bluetooth keyboard. While not perfect the folding keyboard was a huge improvement over the on-screen keyboards and was still pretty portable.

I suggest the iPad Pro because of the larger screen especially when you have to view drawings. Reducing the number of times I have to zoom in and back out helps save time and frustration. Even reading project specifications and other text is much easier on a larger screen. The iPad Pro is the same screen size as most notebooks and I can talk to it and issue verbal commands. I also have the iPad pen so I can make a quick sketch when its necessary. I keep my iPad Pro loaded with high resolution pictures for those times when I have to interview with a customer for a sign job, the pictures are the best way for them to determine the quality of my work and this has been very successful for me. In my office I use an iMac as my primary work machine. When I am installing signs in a large building I don't have to carry a huge roll of drawings anymore on my cart. All of the building drawings are now available as PDF files so I set my iPad in one of the slots in my install cart but I am thinking about a permanent mount if i decide to continue large sign projects...I'm getting old

I also have a Windows machine in my shop that runs both my laser engraver and CNC router but its not portable which is part of why an iPad is so valuable. An iPad also gives me an easy way to create video as well.

I am a software engineer during the day. I go to my shop to get away from computers. I use a construction calculator in the shop and don't even use that very often. The construction calculator is most used when I start getting tired and don't want to do fraction math in my head any more.

Regardless of device type, if you do not want tp lose all our work, you will need a backip stratrgy that works for you. A process that you will actually use.

Curt,
    That's why I've selected a Samsung. Little wonky pushing it to use the Micro SD I've installed, but the idea is all data goes there, and can be simply swapped to new device in the future. I'm given the understanding that the micro usb port will accept jump drives via adaptor, which will allow jpg and pdfs to be shared/backed up to my main machines.
    (I have a no cloud policy with my devices)

I certainly appreciate the Apple universe thing, but I'm just not there, and it would be like an act of congress to consider a complete change-over, so I'll continue to slug through the Android to Microsoft dance. Still more convenient and accurate than loose pages of paper.
    Plan to take images and even short videos of complex operations for future reference, eliminating repeated trial and error setups for rarely-used, advanced techniques.

jeff

Backup is important for sure if you are putting data on the tablet. Don't depend entirely on removable media, however...an automatic online backup can be invaluable. Obviously, I use iCloud for that, but there should be similar options in the Android world, too.
    --