Thread: Cleaning a sanding disc

Cleaning a sanding disc

What is recommended to clean/remove the glue residue on a disc sander disc? I just pulled a spent sanding disc from a 20" disc sander and the metal disc is covered with glue residue. Looks like a major job getting it all off.

Robert,

This is the type of thing I use to clean sanding disks. I purchased most from Grizzly but this one I just located quickly on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/DCT-Abrasive-...6588281&sr=8-2

To clean the adhesive off the disk backer, I use DNA.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-10-2021 at 7:26 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

When I clean my disc I use either denatured alcohol or CRC Lectra-Motive parts cleaner with a razor blade to scrape the goo.
    They both work well.

Regards,

Phil

Simple green works amazingly.

We used to buy a liquid product made by pattern maker supply house for cleaning pitch off of sandpaper and tooling. It was a strong solvent that easily
    dried. We tried to use it mainly outdoors.

Naphtha or lacquer thinner. If it's really thick, a single edge razor blade scraper on the solvent covered adhesive as it melts to make it faster. It's not that much of a task after the solvent soaks in. I use 3m 77 spray contact cement on plain discs to glue them on.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 11-10-2021 at 11:05 PM.

I've heard (but never tried) if you heat the paper a bit as you pull it off, it will come off cleaner. Anyone ever try that?
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

You've heard right, Keith. I have a 12" disk ... always start-out with the heat gun ... slowly moving-around and try to somewhat warm-up the whole disk. Just go side-to-side once I start peeling. I apply some goo-gone and with the razor blade scraper I'm down to bare metal in no-time. Next occasion I'll try Stewarts suggestion ... Simple Green.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks. I am going to pick up a bottle of Simple Green to try the next time. DNA softened the residue into a goo but Goo Gone really softened and removed it. Trouble is I used almost half of an eight ounce bottle. Never thought of using a heat gun first and I have a really nice one barely used sitting in a shop drawer. Definitely will use that on the next disc change. Did not have any naphtha or lacquer thinner on hand to try.

Scraping with a razor blade is only a little bit helpful on my disc/plate. The entire disc has concentric narrow shallow grooves machined into it on the sandpaper side.

The stuff for a pattern maker sounds interesting. Any idea what it is called?

I use a heat gun all the time to remove stickers from newly purchased items when I don't want to deal with glue residue. Usually keeps 95% of the glue on the sticker.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Lots of good suggestions, thanks. I am going to pick up a bottle of Simple Green to try the next time. DNA softened the residue into a goo but Goo Gone really softened and removed it. Trouble is I used almost half of an eight ounce bottle. Never thought of using a heat gun first and I have a really nice one barely used sitting in a shop drawer. Definitely will use that on the next disc change. Did not have any naphtha or lacquer thinner on hand to try.

Scraping with a razor blade is only a little bit helpful on my disc/plate. The entire disc has concentric narrow shallow grooves machined into it on the sandpaper side.

The stuff for a pattern maker sounds interesting. Any idea what it is called?
    Make sure that Simple Green suggestion wasn't advice for cleaning the sandpaper and not the metal disc. Seems like some of the first replies were for cleaning some woodworking glue off the abrasive side. I've never seen Simple Green work like a solvent on adhesive.