Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sawzaall experts

Long ago and in a galaxy, umm...under my feet...I bought an "anniversary" edition of the Super Sawzall. I don't use it often, but it sure is a beast when it's the right tool for the job. Heavy, powerful, eats electricity for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, but it will cut through anything with the correct blade. I suspect if I were going to buy one today, given my history of limited us, I'd go lighter, but I can't say enough praise about the one Milwaukee tool I own...the Super Sawzall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thats why I said I thought it was invincible. It should have died 10 years ago from all the cutting roots in my mcigiver stumping way. It was so hot many times almost uncomfortable to hold onto. It worked fantastic stuff I could not do with a chainsaw as it will trash it instantly I just trashed an axe blade and put another one of 10 or 20 I had already sharpened. Good info here from everyone. The carpenter near me buys rebuilt ones as he wants the older ones. had a guy he dealt with for 20 years but that guy retired. I know that you have history with a great guy then never know what you get once he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    OSHA doesnt allow for cord repair. You can swap the whole thing but I dont have a guy in the shop and Im a union shop so my guys cost me too much to spend the time diagnosing and repairing it. I get a new one for $85. The guys can take them home if they want.
    I know. The last time I did so it cost me $10 to replace the entire cord. Way cheaper than a new saw, and a whole lot less wasteful.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I've got the M18 Super Sawzall and have been happy with it outside of blade changing. The quick release chuck or whatever it is called is anything but.

When I was still working (retired officially last Friday) I had a standard duty on my truck. While it wasn't used frequently it was usually used extremely hard when it was. It wasn't the heavy duty version just the standard. The quick change blade release was never an issue. This was purchased in 2007 or 2008. It almost exclusively cut steel. Biggest job was a 4" shaft on a crane. That was a job! There were three of us and we tag teamed it because our forearms could only take about 20 minutes each. We changed blades then as I recall too. I think it took us close to 3 hours to get through it. It was obviously corded and for that type work the only way to go. I do recall it getting pretty hot around the blade end on extended cuts. I still consider Sawzall's to be the best but I haven't used anything else in recent years so that might be incorrect now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    When I was still working (retired officially last Friday) I had a standard duty on my truck. While it wasn't used frequently it was usually used extremely hard when it was. It wasn't the heavy duty version just the standard. The quick change blade release was never an issue. This was purchased in 2007 or 2008. It almost exclusively cut steel. Biggest job was a 4" shaft on a crane. That was a job! There were three of us and we tag teamed it because our forearms could only take about 20 minutes each. We changed blades then as I recall too. I think it took us close to 3 hours to get through it. It was obviously corded and for that type work the only way to go. I do recall it getting pretty hot around the blade end on extended cuts. I still consider Sawzall's to be the best but I haven't used anything else in recent years so that might be incorrect now.
    Congrats on your retirement. Be forewarned that the next few months will be challenging regardless of how prepared you thought you were. It is a MAJOR life change that brings its own set of issues and joys.

2 weeks ago I had to cut an old 275 gallon oil tank in half so I could lift it out of a basement by myself. I used a probably 30 or 40 year old Sawzall that I bought on eBay for $50 or so last winter, and was able to do the whole cut in under 5 minutes. We have a Super Sawzall here at the farm which I've used a lot on occasion, and when I need it it's great. I also have an 18v DeWalt that's pretty good, but I don't like the shoe as much and of course being cordless it is only good for small jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    Congrats on your retirement. Be forewarned that the next few months will be challenging regardless of how prepared you thought you were. It is a MAJOR life change that brings its own set of issues and joys.
    Thank you. I'm taking it one day at a time currently. I had to use up 5 weeks vacation first so it wasn't "real" until the 5th. I've been running a tractor for a farmer friend doing fall tillage the last week. Rained out today but will be back at it in the morning.

my neighbour walked each day long walks with his dogs. Picked up beer cans or bottles on side roads in ditches. Pathetic that he found so many or that people do that both drink and liter. He finally took them all back and had a enough coin to pay for gas to drive from Toronto area to Nova Scotia.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Thank you. I'm taking it one day at a time currently. I had to use up 5 weeks vacation first so it wasn't "real" until the 5th. I've been running a tractor for a farmer friend doing fall tillage the last week. Rained out today but will be back at it in the morning.
    There's kinda a "withdrawal" process that comes with retirement for many folks as they wean themselves off the work routine "drug". It was nice you got a head start on that...for me, it was about three months before I truly settled down to be busier than ever. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...