Thread: Exterior door jamb question

Exterior door jamb question

Building an exterior door and have question about what weather strip you use from you guys that build doors.

There are a ton of types here: http://www.conservationtechnology.co...omponents.html

It's a 1.75 " thick door. I plan to cut the jamb, router a groove for the weather strip, then apply the stops.

I'm not worried too much about energy efficiency just because the house is an older post and beam A-frame that isn't too tight, but still something pretty good.

Also, I know there are a lot of thresholds out there but perhaps you can provide a brand you have used and like. It will be mahogany so perhaps something wood and adjustable.

Point me in the right direction please for specific brands for these 2 items.

I have used Conservation Technologies on many occasions with custom door builds for various types of weather stripping (jambs, astragal, door bottoms, etc) and that’s all I will use if it all possible. I don’t build a ton of (or only) doors, so maybe full time door folks will have another suggestion, but CT is hard to beat in my book.

You can see their drawings on the website for all the different options and then call them and talk to a real person who knows what they’re talking about and can offer some real world and technical advice.

Shipping from them is expensive. Maybe the only downside, but worth it in my experience for the quality you get compared to the crap that is on the store shelf anywhere around here.

You might call them when you have all the specs and clearances figured out (or as you are planning them) to see what they recommend. So many options that are situation dependent with doors; it’s hard to give blanket recommendations.
    Still waters run deep.

I've built a few exterior doors and have used Q-Lon weatherstripping for all of them. https://www.amazon.com/Foam-Kerf-Wea...5505c9d1e&th=1

You cut the groove needed for the Q-Lon at the same time you cut the rabbet in the jamb. You start with 1-1/4" stock for the jamb, then cut a rabbet. The full kerf sawblade is set so that it not only releases the cutout but also cuts the groove for the Q-Lon.

This jamb uses two different woods but it was made the same way as with a one piece jamb.

And here's what it looks like with the jamb together:

Q-Lon is shown on the right in this photo. The one on the left is a magnetic seal for a metal door. Both fit in the same groove.

You just cut to fit and press it into the groove. Here's a poor photo of the Q-Lon installed.

The advantage of Q-Lon type seals is they are very forgiving in establishing a seal, even if things are out of alignment or warped, and they are easily replaced. Just pull it out and press in a new one. Also, you can hide the screws needed to secure the frame in the rough opening behind the Q-Lon. And you can remove the Q-Lon if you need to refinish the jamb, then reinstall them when done. All very handy features.

That little piece of foam you see to the left of the Q-Lon is a corner seal. It seals the little gap between the bottom seal of the door and the jamb.

John

Thanks Guys, helps a lot. The photos and explanation are great John, many thanks and I will try your technique.