Thread: Repairing bolt with JB Weld?

Repairing bolt with JB Weld?

I stripped the lock bolt which holds the table in place on my Homecraft Delta drill press. The threads are 7/16"- 14 so I can replace the bolt (but without the ball end handle) easily and use an Allen wrench. I found a replacement used one on E Bay for around $45 plus shipping but not wanting to spend that much. The bolt is identical to the one used to tighten the spindle so I have temporarily swapped the bolts since normally you don't need to tighten the spindle for most operations.
    Lot's of info on line on repairing the female threads with JB Weld but none on repairing the male threads on a bolt. Anyone tried it? Nothing to lose as the bolt is useless as is. I'm thinking cleaning the threads with acetone, apply thin layer of JB Weld (not sure how to keep it from running, maybe wrap with packing tape), let it fully set, sand the excess off, then recut the threads with a die.bolt 1.jpgBolt 2.jpg

I think the repaired threads will shear off while trying to tighten the clamp.

Check McMaster-Carr or Essentra for ratcheting handles. Probably cost about a third of the ebay handle.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You're probably right Jerry on the shear strength of JB Weld, McMaster Carr aren't in Canada and only sell business to business (as do many similar companies up here) but the ratcheting handle idea sounds good if I can find it. I'll look at Essentra, they seem to sell to individuals and are here in Canada Thanks

Could you just cut off the damaged threads?

Blog Entries
    McMaster Carr sells a handle that you can drill and tap for your own size stud. Once you have the hole drilled and tapped you can loctite your own threaded rod into the handle.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Try searching for "cam handles" "machine handles" "ratcheting handles". Lot of stuff out there but not so much in 7/16-14. Here is something you could make work:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02582518
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Doug I have and do order stuff from McMaster-Carr . I have my own business ,but it took a small argument to convince them the first order. Since that time it has not been an issue. Now that I think about it , I ship their orders to the border and pick them up there. The first order I shipped to Alberta.

Sounds like you have limited metal working machines so.. Buy a length of all thread. Cut to length. Heat it red hot and bend it as needed. You may want to quench it so it is harder. JB weld or solder a nut on one end where the boss is. JB weld a wood handle on the other end. At least wrap it in grip tape until you decide if it is good for you.
    Bill

PS: if you can not source all thread just buy a long bolt.

Thanks for all the advice, a generous member of another forum has offered to send me a spare bolt from a drill press he parted out so problem solved.

I would have bought a long bolt with correct thread size. Install a jam nut, braze it in place and bend shank. Prior to bending shank, using disk sander, round head of bolt.

Check Grainger and mscdirect. They have Canadian websites and may have direct replacements.