Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FTL will not save us

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FTL will not save us

All the reliable science says (Faster Than Light) travel will not be possible. So looking for earthlike planets is academic, it will not solve our population problem. While limited communication is possible, nobody is ever going to go there. We will be surviving ,or not, on just our tiny blue planet forever.

Do you have any solutions?

I guess I don’t see a population problem. In any case I’ll be dead within 30 years and won’t care if one develops.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

You are clearly overlooking needlecasts, wormholes, warp drives and ansibles.

Blog Entries
    Don’t stop dreaming.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    You are clearly overlooking needlecasts, wormholes, warp drives and ansibles.
    and using the spice to fold space.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    and using the spice to fold space.
    Particularly timely with the new movie……Rod.

Or terraforming Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I guess I don’t see a population problem. In any case I’ll be dead within 30 years and won’t care if one develops.
    Maybe not today.

From an article by Howard Hendrix in Analog Nov '21, Guest Editorial: Population and Genius

Population in 1 billion increments : date reached : years to reach that population increment:

1 billion : 1803 : estimated several hundred thousand years
    2 billion : 1927 : 124 years later
    3 billion : 1960 : 33 years
    4 billion : 1975 : 15 years
    5 billion : 1987 : 12 years
    6 billion : 1999 : 12 years
    7 billion : 2011 : 12 years
    8 billion : 2024 : 13 years estimated

So the rate of increase has slowed a bit. But when will we hit 9 billion? 10 billion?
    Looking at this makes me wonder how many billions the planet can feed. And when will that happen?

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    All the reliable science says (Faster Than Light) travel will not be possible. So looking for earthlike planets is academic, it will not solve our population problem. While limited communication is possible, nobody is ever going to go there. We will be surviving ,or not, on just our tiny blue planet forever.

Do you have any solutions?
    Many years ago someone predicted the first earth people to travel to another solar system will be greeted by earth people who left for the same solar system after them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    That may be one of the major failing points of humans, to not care about things they feel won't have an impact on them.

Currently we are experiencing a natural event lowering the human population by less than 1%. We do not know if the long term effects of this event will cause a lull in population growth.

9. Barnett Newman, Onement V (1952)

Christie’s New York, July 10, 2020

$30,920,000
    Proof that some people have too much money.

[A few birth rates: (replacement is about 2.2)
    England - 1.58
    Germany - 1.54
    France - 1.87 which reflects the policies in France that support birth mothers
    Spain - 1.24
    South Korea - 1.00
    Egypt - 3.28
    Niger - 6.9
    Congo - 5.9]
    Compared to England or Germany how many of those born in Niger or Congo will live to see their 20th birthday? How about 30th or 40th?

is the replacement rate the same for every country rich or poor?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

All the reliable science says (Faster Than Light) travel will not be possible
    Bear in mind - those "in the know" at one time said a train could never exceed 25 miles per hour because that would cause all the air to be sucked out and kill everyone inside.
    IIRC, they also claim bees can't fly.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

"Bear in mind - those "in the know" at one time said a train could never exceed 25 miles per hour because that would cause all the air to be sucked out and kill everyone inside.
    IIRC, they also claim bees can't fly."

Speaking as an engineer, there is a difference between an engineer saying something can’t be done and a physicist saying it can't be done. When an engineer says it can’t be done he usually means I can't see how to do it. Physics can be wrong too but that’s not the way to bet.

You guys might want to consider the universe as depicted in Ian M. Banks' "Culture" novels. The AIs are self-programmed in, shall we say, interesting ways, but there are a whole bunch of them, so if you don't like the one running your particular environment, there's probably one more suited to your tastes. ("State of the Art" has a section detailing some of the socioeconomic and technological underpinnings.)

Its only real problem is that it (rather conveniently) skips over the interval between "here's the mess we started with" and "Hey, check it out, ain't it cool?"
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The AIs are self-programmed in, shall we say, interesting ways, but there are a whole bunch of them, so if you don't like the one running your particular environment, there's probably one more suited to your tastes.
    Well, if I could choose the AI running the show then perhaps the world would go as I wish -it's all these other people who think they ought to have an equal vote that screw things up.

Maybe Ai could just make an evaluation itself based on managing the planets inhabitant and resources.

If we do achieve faster than light travel at least no one will see us coming!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!