Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand tool guy on YouTube

Hand tool guy on YouTube

Really been enjoying watching this guy on YT. All hand tools and he's really good. Give him a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FranksWorkbench

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)]Really been enjoying watching this guy on YouTube. All hand tools. Give him a watch.

[COLOR=var(--blue-link)]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK-RcAfd3rmUG1NdEnkT-kQ

[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Subscribed! Thank You.

Same here....along with Rex Krueger....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I watched his video on his recommendations for a basic set hand tools. I think he might need a lapel mic too. I sounds like he is using the mic on the camera. I did like his preseentation though.

Hey Jason. What mic do you use for your videos?

I use a wireless mic that came with my DJI Pocket Osmo. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I watched his video on his recommendations for a basic set hand tools. I think he might need a lapel mic too. I sounds like he is using the mic on the camera. I did like his preseentation though.

Interestingly I watched the essential tools video first, where he says he never uses a block plane or a jointer plane or a coping saw etc. Then watched the dovetail box video where he used all of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Newman View Post
    Interestingly I watched the essential tools video first, where he says he never uses a block plane or a jointer plane or a coping saw etc. Then watched the dovetail box video where he used all of them...
    That’s funny.

I checked it out last night and then got sucked into the rabbit hole. It was a fun 90 minutes of hand tool techniques, tours and tool reviews. I stumbled upon Anne Briggs aka Anne of All Trades. Her Dutch tool box tour was interesting. She is a big fan of the low angle jack and seems to have a genuine passion for wood working, homesteading …. There are so many great resources out there. We are truly blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post

I was thinking this too. I did see the garage door track so even with a better mic it will still be very reflective and a problem. I really enjoy woodworking educators that come at this craft from a minimalist vantage point. I am at a point where I "can" afford to blow money on lots of tools and perhaps would have if I had the room. My small shop held me back and before I could made it bigger I found that hand tool woodworking makes me happy. I know look at power tools that take up valuable space and think "Do I need that".

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Newman View Post
    Yeah I picked up on that but I think he was attempting to say a new woodworker could get by on this minimum starter set. I kept glancing over to the right and thinking "oh yeah, he has more tools over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Really been enjoying watching this guy on YT. All hand tools and he's really good. Give him a watch.
    Sorry, I should not say this, but I found this all quite pretentious. I was watching the Shaker Table. Lasted 5 minutes. He has - and uses - power tools (jointer, table saw). The hand tools are used for flourish. They are for show, not purpose, on this YouTube channel. For example, he joints the top of a board with a #7, glorifying in creating a long, see-through shaving (as if he was Rob Cosman), proceeds to saw it off with a handsaw, and then discard this section! Then he levels a board by hand planing the corners, and finally flattens in on a power jointer. Why did he not just do it all on the power jointer?? Why bother with a hand plane here at all? He rips one piece with a handsaw and then the rest with a tablesaw ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Guess I had a different take-away from the videos.

Yes, he has some basic power tools. I think he mentioned at some point that they were a relatively new addition to the shop, to help speed things up after 6 or 7 years of doing it all by hand. Kinda got the impression he's still sorting out how/when to use them effectively compared to what he's used to.

I did notice that some of his techniques or choices are maybe not 'standard', compared to what seems to be the norm. I'm not enough of a pro to say whether that's good or bad, but it is interesting.

There are many better handtool woodworkers on YouTube. The trouble is that they are not as showy as the ones who make videos specifically for viewership. Some earn their viewership, such as Paul Sellers and Rob Cosman.

A few good to watch ....

Japanese joinery: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGR...SVhvuaVVkgMWZQ

Western joinery: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUn..._vfV_KzgVmZBog

Phil Lowe: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...y47aIddCuHEzyT

Doucette and Wolfe: https://www.youtube.com/c/Doucetteandwolfefurniture

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yep, there's definitely a difference between the content put out by someone who's been a career (30+ years) professional in the trade, vs. someone doing it as a hobby out of their garage for kicks.

Luckily that's one of the good things about the internet... there's literally something for everyone.

And be even better without some looking down their noses at the Hobbyist......or those with Hybrid Shops.

take the shows as they are...kick back and watch with an OPEN MIND......might even enjoy the FUN, again...of wooding with wood....

I watch these kind of shows...to see if there is an idea I might want to try out....not even concerned about what type of microphone they use, or don't use.....

Small shop? You NEED to visit The Dungeon Wood Shop someday.....and see how much room I get to "play" in........
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use