Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand tool guy on YouTube

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    There are many better handtool woodworkers on YouTube. The trouble is that they are not as showy as the ones who make videos specifically for viewership. Some earn their viewership, such as Paul Sellers and Rob Cosman.

A few good to watch ....

Japanese joinery: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGR...SVhvuaVVkgMWZQ

Western joinery: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUn..._vfV_KzgVmZBog

Phil Lowe: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...y47aIddCuHEzyT

Doucette and Wolfe: https://www.youtube.com/c/Doucetteandwolfefurniture

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks Derek for the recommendations – those are awesome! So much content on the Internet, which is a blessing for us, however makes recommendations all the more valuable to help sort the wheat from the chaff. I can only imagine when I was getting started building furniture in the late 70s how helpful it would’ve been to have access to this kind of great instruction. Yeah the Internet is awesome!

Cheers Mike

Blog Entries
    I confess I don’t know much about the YouTube Woodworking world. I’m interested in what my fellow Neanders think make a good YouTube Woodworking channel? Seems like many have episodes devoted to techniques, joinery, planning etc.

What about a channel where it takes you through all the steps of building a fine piece of furniture with hand tools? I’m sure those sites already exist but appreciate the feedback.

If you were going to start a YouTube channel, where would you focus, on entry level hand tool techniques and simple builds or something more complex maybe including carving, veneer etc.?

Sorry for the questions, as I said I don’t know much about the online Woodworking world beyond SMC. Appreciate the feedback.

Based on the feedback, maybe I’ll try and make a YouTube channel that fits with my fellow Neanderthal looking for. Yikes – it’s probably a pipe dream I don’t even know how to take a video.

Best, Mike
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 11-15-2021 at 7:45 PM.

Mike, you may also want to check out KillenWOOD. He does short segments on various processes of veneer work, inlay, etc., for period furniture (and a few other things). He is the poster child for patient woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    I confess I don’t know much about the YouTube Woodworking world. I’m interested in what my fellow Neanders think make a good YouTube Woodworking channel? Seems like many have episodes devoted to techniques, joinery, planning etc.

What about a channel where it takes you through all the steps of building a fine piece of furniture with hand tools? I’m sure those sites already exist but appreciate the feedback.

If you were going to start a YouTube channel, where would you focus, on entry level hand tool techniques and simple builds or something more complex maybe including carving, veneer etc.?

Sorry for the questions, as I said I don’t know much about the online Woodworking world beyond SMC. Appreciate the feedback.

Based on the feedback, maybe I’ll try and make a YouTube channel that fits with my fellow Neanderthal looking for. Yikes – it’s probably a pipe dream I don’t even know how to take a video.

Best, Mike
    Mike, you would be awesome on video. But do not expect a large audience. This goes to the flashy guys and gals with more showmanship than skill. A little dance and song act on your part would add appeal

I have a channel (for joinery), but it is so dour that I only recommend it to insomniacs. I am not kidding. Works like a charm!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa0...xW2b8lGNzCRpsw

Regards from Perth

Derek

pbs.org The Woodwright's Shop.

Between IND ARTS class in High School , then Roy and Norm...Back when they had good shows on PBS...before the internet.

You CAN still watch Norm do his thing...might even catch him using a HAND TOOL......
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

snip... A little dance and song act on your part would add appeal

Derek
    A little song, a little dance, a little hide-glue down your pants.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

+1&2 for Roy and Norm. Because the full episodes are archived on PBS, they often get lost in the YouTube shuffle. I always marvel at the guests Roy had on his shows before they were household names - at least to us woodworkers - Schwarz and Mary May to name a couple. And of course both shows benefitted from the professional production crews of PBS. Great reminder Steven.

Also, for pure entertainment, check out Roy’s episode on Tedx Talks. It’s Roy unleashed.
    https://youtu.be/Au1TbIyLcPU

Blog Entries
    Mike, you would be awesome on video. But do not expect a large audience. This goes to the flashy guys and gals with more showmanship than skill. A little dance and song act on your part would add appeal

I have a channel (for joinery), but it is so dour that I only recommend it to insomniacs. I am not kidding. Works like a charm!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa0...xW2b8lGNzCRpsw

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek your description of your YouTube channel as “dour” made me laugh! I think you sell yourself short my friend, I enjoyed the half blind dovetail video. Reminded me I need to make one of your kerf chisels.

I followed some of the links shared in this thread and man was I surprised how many dovetail videos there are! Some really great content out there. Seems like a fundamental challenge Of one-man operation is trying to both demonstrate to work and also video yet at the same time. Seems like it be super helpful to have somebody else handle the camera and that’s a nonstarter for me.

Thanks for the entrée into the world of online woodworking videos.

Cheers Mike

I am afraid my videos would be rather boring....IF I were to try them...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

So Mike, I'll join in on the focus group, and give you the perspective of someone who truly admires your skills, and would love to spend time in your shop, but also someone who hasn't retired yet, and whose discretionary time is limited. I've only ever engaged in watching one, long running series of a relatively complicated build from start to finish, and that was Curtis Buchanan's series on the democratic chair. I got drawn into his series because of an experiment with a spoke shave. I used one for the first time about a year or so back, and was almost immediately addicted. So I asked, what can I build that requires a lot of spoke shave work? How about a chair? How about the democratic chair that doesn't even contemplate using a lathe? (I don't own a lathe - maybe some day). And so Curtis had me hooked. My point is, if you do a start to finish build on anything of much complexity, it is going to be hours and hours of video, and because discretionary time is scarce resource, only those who have a strong desire to either learn the specific techniques you are using or who really want to build the piece you are building are likely to want to watch several episodes. If you do simple builds, they may be short, but they also may not be all that unique. I personally like Tom Figden, Unplugged Woodshop. I think he has done some complete build series, but you have to pay to have access to them. At this stage in my life, this isn't enough of a priority for me to do, but the free stuff, that is something I might spend a Sunday afternoon browsing. This isn't to say paying for quality instruction something I'm unwilling to do, but for now, I don't want to make that time commitment. You have a lot of information to share, and your results speak for themselves. You have experience that is worth sharing, but as Derek said, the viewership may not be huge even though the information is solid. I read somewhere else that newbies all have an interest in tool chests, saw tills, workbenches which is why there are so many resources on these topics, but after that the interests are more segmented. A build thread on a Queen Anne or Chippendale style piece may not appeal to those whose taste run more along the Shaker, Mission, Craftsman vein. Builds featuring expensive, imported lumber may not appeal to those who are pinching pennies and limit their builds to low-cost domestic hardwoods. But these observations aside, you are knowledgeable and accomplished. To me what makes for a good channel is someone who produces great results; demonstrates things clearly; owns their opinions and acknowledges there are other ways; points to other resources or experts; invites feedback; responds to questions and respects different methods, and is encouraging. I also like it when the teacher shares mistakes. I relate to mistakes.
    I also appreciate builds done using a minimal set of modestly priced tools. Nothing wrong with premium tools, but for folks on a budget, or folks whose sensibilities just can't see spending thousands of dollars on premium planes, chisels, saws, marking tools, sharpening equipment, specialty hand tools can be a bit of a barrier. Now there's an interesting book or video series idea: Twelve Projects From Apprentice to Jr. Craftsman & the Incremental Tool Purchases You Need to Make along the Way. Introduce the basic kit needed to build the first project, along with the build, then the next, one or two new tools, maybe after the 12 build I have a fairly complete kit?

I don't know where you would start? Construction Grade Lumber Simple Workbench\assembly table or maybe saw bench then workbench? Then bench hook? Then Shooting board? Tool chest? Book Shelf? Let us know what you decide .

There are many better handtool woodworkers on YouTube. The trouble is that they are not as showy as the ones who make videos specifically for viewership. Some earn their viewership, such as Paul Sellers and Rob Cosman.

A few good to watch ....

Japanese joinery: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGR...SVhvuaVVkgMWZQ

Western joinery: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUn..._vfV_KzgVmZBog

Phil Lowe: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...y47aIddCuHEzyT

Doucette and Wolfe: https://www.youtube.com/c/Doucetteandwolfefurniture

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wow, I just watched Doucette and Wolfe per your recommendation.

I've never had the privilege of watching work of that caliber. Very impressive and informative.

There's so much you can learn simply by watching a highly skilled craftsman, and by watching more complex work that you wouldn't necessarily know how to approach without seeing it done first. Beginners like myself are spoiled in this era.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 11-17-2021 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post

Best, Mike

Basic joinery skills and beginner oriented material is super saturated.

I would be very interested in seeing more advanced material, and full build processes using nothing but hand tools.

Most project oriented channels, in fact, use very few hand tools, so I think that would be a great niche to fill.

Try Peter Follansbee's channel for an example of less boutique tool woodworking.

Thanks, Derek.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    So Mike, I'll join in on the focus group, and give you the perspective of someone who truly admires your skills, and would love to spend time in your shop, but also someone who hasn't retired yet, and whose discretionary time is limited. I've only ever engaged in watching one, long running series of a relatively complicated build from start to finish, and that was Curtis Buchanan's series on the democratic chair. I got drawn into his series because of an experiment with a spoke shave. I used one for the first time about a year or so back, and was almost immediately addicted. So I asked, what can I build that requires a lot of spoke shave work? How about a chair? How about the democratic chair that doesn't even contemplate using a lathe? (I don't own a lathe - maybe some day). And so Curtis had me hooked. My point is, if you do a start to finish build on anything of much complexity, it is going to be hours and hours of video, and because discretionary time is scarce resource, only those who have a strong desire to either learn the specific techniques you are using or who really want to build the piece you are building are likely to want to watch several episodes. If you do simple builds, they may be short, but they also may not be all that unique. I personally like Tom Figden, Unplugged Woodshop. I think he has done some complete build series, but you have to pay to have access to them. At this stage in my life, this isn't enough of a priority for me to do, but the free stuff, that is something I might spend a Sunday afternoon browsing. This isn't to say paying for quality instruction something I'm unwilling to do, but for now, I don't want to make that time commitment. You have a lot of information to share, and your results speak for themselves. You have experience that is worth sharing, but as Derek said, the viewership may not be huge even though the information is solid. I read somewhere else that newbies all have an interest in tool chests, saw tills, workbenches which is why there are so many resources on these topics, but after that the interests are more segmented. A build thread on a Queen Anne or Chippendale style piece may not appeal to those whose taste run more along the Shaker, Mission, Craftsman vein. Builds featuring expensive, imported lumber may not appeal to those who are pinching pennies and limit their builds to low-cost domestic hardwoods. But these observations aside, you are knowledgeable and accomplished. To me what makes for a good channel is someone who produces great results; demonstrates things clearly; owns their opinions and acknowledges there are other ways; points to other resources or experts; invites feedback; responds to questions and respects different methods, and is encouraging. I also like it when the teacher shares mistakes. I relate to mistakes.
    I also appreciate builds done using a minimal set of modestly priced tools. Nothing wrong with premium tools, but for folks on a budget, or folks whose sensibilities just can't see spending thousands of dollars on premium planes, chisels, saws, marking tools, sharpening equipment, specialty hand tools can be a bit of a barrier. Now there's an interesting book or video series idea: Twelve Projects From Apprentice to Jr. Craftsman & the Incremental Tool Purchases You Need to Make along the Way. Introduce the basic kit needed to build the first project, along with the build, then the next, one or two new tools, maybe after the 12 build I have a fairly complete kit?

I don't know where you would start? Construction Grade Lumber Simple Workbench\assembly table or maybe saw bench then workbench? Then bench hook? Then Shooting board? Tool chest? Book Shelf? Let us know what you decide .
    Thanks a lot Joe and everyone, I really appreciate you all taking the time to share your insights and perspectives – very helpful! As much as I truly enjoy working with people in my shop and teaching them about hand tools, translating that to the online world requires a lot of AV/IT work which is definitely not hot my sweet spot! I did watch a YouTube video about "how to make a YouTube video" (there's got to be some kind of irony in that), and all the camera and microphone tech made my head spin. Probably something my Boys could do at the drop of a hat with their phone.

I have applied for a teaching position with the woodworking program in our local community college. I know all the instructors and have done handsaw workshops for a couple of their classes. That would be my first choice, but the whole hiring process/timeline seems super uncertain – maybe Covid residual effect.

Thanks again for the insight and advice. I really do appreciate the support! I'll let you know if something works out.

All the best, Mike