Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New receptacle question

It is my understanding that a freezer is best wired on a dedicated cirquit. I would think pigtailing and turning the existing box into a junction box eliminates the chance of someone plugging in another device and flipping the breaker leaving your freezer without electricity or shortening freezer motor life. BTW, I am not an electrician but have all my window units, refrigerators and freezers on dedicated circuits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    if the Romex or 12ga wire in the old box is directly connected to a receptacle, then I would not stack the new 12 ga wire on top of the old wires in the receptacle and torque down the screws for two reasons: (1) You're essentially using the receptacle as large un-insulated wire nut; (2) I'm not sure the screw in the receptacle will back off enough to allow two sets of 12ga wire underneath it. It is designed to accommodate only one set of wires, not two.

Better to add a set of the short 3" pig tails to the connection for the old receptacle connected by wire nuts. Then make the connection for the new Romex or 12 ga wire to those wire nuts. The connection is more secure and insulated.
    Correct, never try to get two wires under a receptacle screw, even 14 gauge although with the clamp style back connectors you probably could. But it is safe to put one wire under each screw shepherds hook style and you will see the two screws are electrically connected with a break-away tab. I hate wiring 12 ga stuff. Some folks give two wraps of electrical tape around the screws if using a steel electrical box. And always tighten any unused screws.
    NOW you tell me...

I saw some quality Leventon receptacles at Habitat. New in the box for cheap. I looked and immediately knew why they were there. The buyer would have to buy a new pigtail connector assembly for each one, around $3 each to use them. They have no way to connect the wiring except a snap on custom connector. I have no idea if that connector is still being made or not.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    if the Romex or 12ga wire in the old box is directly connected to a receptacle, then I would not stack the new 12 ga wire on top of the old wires in the receptacle and torque down the screws for two reasons: (1) You're essentially using the receptacle as large un-insulated wire nut; (2) I'm not sure the screw in the receptacle will back off enough to allow two sets of 12ga wire underneath it. It is designed to accommodate only one set of wires, not two.

Better to add a set of the short 3" pig tails to the connection for the old receptacle connected by wire nuts. Then make the connection for the new Romex or 12 ga wire to those wire nuts. The connection is more secure and insulated.
    The reason for not having two wires under one screw is it is easy for the wires to be placed with one crossing the other. This can cause an eventual failure of one or both of the wires.

Heating and cooling cycles can also increase the chances of the binding screws becoming loose.

Some junctions are made with multiple washers to separate the wires for stacking. These are usually for use in low power circuits.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    What is not acceptable is to have a junction box that is inaccessible.
    I was also taught that any junction must be accessible. Recently I saw some kind of splice kit that you can seal up. I figure that’s for the pros. I’ll keep making my connections like my father-in-law taught me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I was also taught that any junction must be accessible. Recently I saw some kind of splice kit that you can seal up. I figure that’s for the pros. I’ll keep making my connections like my father-in-law taught me.
    Code varies by jurisdiction, but here (Alberta), about the only place a splice can be concealed is an underground splice that's been installed to correct a fault.