Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post a pic of your favorite WW project

Here is an item that I used up some Mahogany & Birdseye. I stole the design from a magazine. When I found the magazine again it was nothing like this, so I guess I didn’t really steal anything. I love making trestle tables & benches, also boxes that take days.

EC258301-C3D1-4B13-A63C-BB959BAE23B5.jpg9B527E6C-2DE0-4242-8B9F-A022E8427AF9.jpg

Wish I had something to post, but I am enjoying the different outstanding pieces made by the people here. So much talent, so little time.

From Tree to Keepsakes

This soft maple in the backyard provided lots of shade and was a great play area for my four oldest children. It was a great climbing tree and featured a much used tire swing. In 2011, severe thunderstorms brought down one of the main branches. I salvaged some logs and several years later cut some small spalted maple boards from them. I made five simple keepsake boxes (one for my wife and one for each of the kids). I like the fact that I can trace the boxes back to a much loved tree that attended to so many ordinary, yet extraordinary memories and moments. I think these boxes will stay with the kids long after I’m gone and many of my other projects have been auctioned off, given away, or scrapped. I still have a stash of some of that spalted maple and the Maple tree is still standing. Who knows maybe a second generation of boxes for the grand kids some day
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 11-10-2021 at 8:17 PM.

Lots of amazing work, for sure. Here's my most satisfying project; a pair of arched French doors with true divided lites and a matching rectangular door, all to match the woodwork in the house. I learned a lot building these. Fortunately, I had an internet mentor who was generous with his time to guide me.

Before:

After:

John

John, I remember when you posted that project. I still can’t get my head around trying to even plan something like that. Really great work.

Joe, what a great story/legacy on the boxes. They will certainly be keepsakes for generations.

John, amazing craftsmanship. I hope that has a special place in your home!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Or one that you want to be remembered for?
    The old child hutch has been in the family for over 100 yrs. It was my Grandmother's when she was a child. I decided to build a replica for my new granddaughter. I am putting photos and the history of both along with my shop notes like measurements, drawings, etc., underneath in a plastic sleeve so future generations can know the history.

Old and New Hutch-small.jpgSide by Side-small.jpgGrandpa Ron and New Hutch-small.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have many favorites, but this one is the most meaningful. When my daughter was married I gifted her the scissors I used to cut the umbilical cord when she was born, complete with a little dried goo. I made a special little presentation box using some air dried walnut crotch material I had. Yes, there were tears.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Rob, very cool gift. Wish I had thought of that. Ronnie, I’d love to score a set of your plans. John, I have that exact arch separating our 1930’s dining room from the living room. Very inspiring set of doors. Wow!!!

Blog Entries
    I'd have to say this is my favourite so far. Curly walnut and ebony jewelry box for my wife. It really tested my skills, and taught me a bunch of new ones. Its a year old now and I still stop and admire it every time i walk by.
    IMG_1840.jpgIMG_1841.jpg

Blog Entries
    This is an absolute beauty! The crotch on the front is stunning. Whats the finish?

I have put off posting in this thread because my favorite one is so humble. But I love it, and I use it a lot. It is the table/ countertop at my outdoor kitchen. Nominal 24x72 inch unfinished top in sacrificial half inch CDX, legs are untreated 4x4 Doug Fir with 10 degrees of rake and 10 degrees of splay. Lower shelf sits on the front and rear stretchers but not the end stretchers. Half lap joints for the stretchers, glued and pegged. Finish is house paint with plywood scraps under each of the feet to help protect the end grain.

I pulled about half of Thanksgiving dinner out of this area, we have had some more snow since then. Besides the two Webers foreground, at the other end of the worktable is an ugly drum smoker and a 48" Knaack box modified into an Argentine style Parrilla.

It brings me great joy to cook on it, and the food brings joy to others.

20211128_140553[1].jpg

This is a chest of drawers I did quite a few years ago. Lots of hand work on the front. Wood is cherry.

Mike

Chest complete 01.jpg Chest complete 06.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    What is your most rewarding wood working project (not shop improvement, that is another thread)? Or one that you want to be remembered for? Or one that you simply can't live without? Pick just one and post just one or two photos.

Difficult question and choice.
    I hesitate to post this piece as it's not my best or most complex work but does hold a special place to me, as it's the first piece I made that really received any "real" attention.
    I made this in the winter of 08/09. This was one of my first segmented pieces and it seems to still get a positive reaction, even now with CNC machines being common.
    Thanks for looking

Pinwheel Platter1.jpg

Tough choice but here it is. The table was made from a dead black cherry tree in my back yard. The top was ripped down the pith line and then joined and glued. The finish is Waterlox which has held up to daily abuse in our family room. The bark on the edge has remained completely intact which is a pleasant surprise. In this case, rustic is intentional. Thanks for looking!

table pic.jpg
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!