Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post a pic of your favorite WW project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Post a pic of your favorite WW project

What is your most rewarding wood working project (not shop improvement, that is another thread)? Or one that you want to be remembered for? Or one that you simply can't live without? Pick just one and post just one or two photos.

I'll start: This is tough as I have several to choose from, but I am going to pick my first substantial project, my computer hutch from about 17 years ago. To date still my most technical project with dovetail drawers, raised panels, a Formica topped pull-out desk top. It was paralleled with my router table build needed to do all of the raised panels in the project. It doesn't get used for my computer anymore as I now use a laptop on my kitchen table. But it still houses our printer. At the time you guys thought I was crazy to take on such a complicated project as a first one, but that just served as a challenge.

Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

This cherry breakfront china cabinet I made for my wife is the best I've done so far. It was scaled from pictures of a Thomasville piece that we both loved and I also got to purchase a new lathe to make to the turnings!

China 8.jpg China 4.jpg China 5.jpg

Never seen a better one ! Good design ,work ,and color. I like that it doesn’t stick way out into the room , is it secured to wall?

Mike, glad to see that block front still up. Beautiful ambitious feat. More sculpture than “case piece”.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dilyard View Post
    This cherry breakfront china cabinet I made for my wife is the best I've done so far. It was scaled from pictures of a Thomasville piece that we both loved and I also got to purchase a new lathe to make to the turnings!
    Fantastic work Rod! Congrats. Quite a detailed piece.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Lately this

IMG_1440.jpg IMG_1473.jpg IMG_1443.jpg

I made two of these, very fun.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Tony, Good to see that again, and the abstract lady faces in middle pic, wildest grain of all time!

Blog Entries
    This is an absolute beauty! The crotch on the front is stunning. Whats the finish?

I have put off posting in this thread because my favorite one is so humble. But I love it, and I use it a lot. It is the table/ countertop at my outdoor kitchen. Nominal 24x72 inch unfinished top in sacrificial half inch CDX, legs are untreated 4x4 Doug Fir with 10 degrees of rake and 10 degrees of splay. Lower shelf sits on the front and rear stretchers but not the end stretchers. Half lap joints for the stretchers, glued and pegged. Finish is house paint with plywood scraps under each of the feet to help protect the end grain.

I pulled about half of Thanksgiving dinner out of this area, we have had some more snow since then. Besides the two Webers foreground, at the other end of the worktable is an ugly drum smoker and a 48" Knaack box modified into an Argentine style Parrilla.

It brings me great joy to cook on it, and the food brings joy to others.

20211128_140553[1].jpg

This is a chest of drawers I did quite a few years ago. Lots of hand work on the front. Wood is cherry.

Mike

Chest complete 01.jpg Chest complete 06.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dilyard View Post
    Love the detail work, very nice.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I'll play. Mine would be the first attempt I made at building chairs. Kinda of a cross between Arts and Crafts, and Macintosh.

20191101_152150.jpg _MG_7974.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Turned bowl with carved handles and feet. Went for the organic look. Probably took 100 hours or so. Bradford Pear. Carved with both hand and rotary carving tools.

carved_bowl_IMG_4195.jpg

The initial turning before significant carving:

carved_bowl_process_small_I.jpg

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I have several favorite projects, but I think this one that I made for my wife tops the list.
    jewel1.jpgjewel3.jpgjewel2.jpgphoto 022.jpgphoto 018.jpg.
    The curly cherry came from a fire place mantel that my neighbor removed from his house. I helped him get it out and he was going to cut it up for fire wood. He gave me several large pieces. The drawer sides, dividers and drawer rails are curly cherry. The curly maple came from a local hardwood supplier that lets me pick out the curly pieces.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-10-2021 at 7:37 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Yes ! that is nice ! Good grain and color . “High Rise” build with strong base. Like the use of thin material .