I am in the final inspection stages of my new shop (I didn't build it). It's an addon to my current house that's built to be either a workshop or a family room- basically, a family room with a bunch of big outlets and heavy duty floors

The electrician put in AFCI circuits on the branches. As I understand the code, family rooms require AFCI protection of some sort.

The problem is that, when I went to plug in my miter saw to install the flooring, I trip the arc fault breaker immediately. Running an extension cord to the next room works just fine, so I know the saw isn't broken or anything. It just looks like the universal motor in the saw is triggering an arc fault.

What are my options here? Can I swap the breaker out with a regular one while I'm here using it as a workshop, then put the AFCI one back when I move out one day? I've seen you can use a "soft starter" to fix this, but those are $140+, and I'd prefer to not have to have one for each semi-permanent tools (like a miter saw/router table/etc) plus an extra for plug in stuff like routers or sanders that may or may not trip the breaker.