Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great search engine we have here

So, question for those who believe "use Google" is the one true answer...

How do you use it to return posts on a specific subject, by a specific author, in one or two specific sub forums? Not mentions/quotes of a person, but their posts... in specific sub forums, not just anywhere on the site.

That is the sort of thing that a local search engine *should* be able to do better than an external one... because it has - or should have - direct access to the database used to index all the posts in the first place.

If there's a simple way to accomplish this just using specific search syntax let me know. I'm not unfamiliar with the short form of boolean and regex syntax commonly used by search engines, so let's hear it.

Blog Entries
    That is not my belief. My computer allows me to pick which search engine to use. Google seems to work for me so it was my choice. Others have been used, but many of them have been known to tap into Google.

That is the sort of thing that a local search engine *should* be able to do better than an external one...
    On the surface, this seems logical. Under the surface one might consider how many human hours and dollars Google has dedicated to refining their search engine. Then compare it to the time and money the average Bulletin Board Service has to invest into refining a local search engine.

Some people joke about 'Google Fu' when referring to the art of searching out material on the internet. It is like sex, some people get it and some don't.

Part of successful searching is how one refines the terms used in a search.

If there's a simple way to accomplish this just using specific search syntax let me know. I'm not unfamiliar with the short form of boolean and regex syntax commonly used by search engines, so let's hear it.
    This is unfamiliar territory for me. Maybe including something like > Forum:Woodworking by Hand and Specialties:Neanderthal Haven < in your search string would accomplish what you want.

When the SMC search function doesn't give useful results, usually removing the > www. < from the search string gets me the desired results. If not, then adding the name of the Original Poster (if known) to the search string often helps.

Perhaps if you are not having good results searching for a particular post, it would be more productive to explain what you are seeking and enlist others in finding it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post

How do you use it to return posts on a specific subject, by a specific author, in one or two specific sub forums? Not mentions/quotes of a person, but their posts... in specific sub forums, not just anywhere on the site.

That is the sort of thing that a local search engine *should* be able to do better than an external one... because it has - or should have - direct access to the database used to index all the posts in the first place.

Hi Monte,

- If you prefer to use Google for quick searches, as many do, you can click the search box.

- If you prefer to use the local (vBulletin) search engine click the "Advanced Search" link beneath it.
    This allows searching by keyword, specific forums, threads vs posts, recent date ranges, etc.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Blog Entries
    - If you prefer to use the local (vBulletin) search engine click the "Advanced Search" link beneath it.
    This allows searching by keyword, specific forums, threads vs posts, recent date ranges, etc.
    And if you like a post, at the bottom of the page there is a feature to add your own tags for searching in the future.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I do not know the numbers, but if we have 27,000 paying members, we can match google's search functions for only one million dollars each, annually.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Someone must have read my main gripe with the SMC search engine.

Doing a search this evening it didn't put the > www. < into the search term.

Thanks for who ever fixed this.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I do not know the numbers, but if we have 27,000 paying members, we can match google's search functions for only one million dollars each, annually.
    I strongly suspect most of us could find something better to do with $27B.
    One each of everything Festool makes would put a good dent in it...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I strongly suspect most of us could find something better to do with $27B.
    One each of everything Festool makes would put a good dent in it...
    A short note to Rob Lee or Thomas Lie-Nielsen, "Please send one of each, find blank check enclosed."

jtk