Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great search engine we have here

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    It was a trying night for sure(pun intended)Attachment 467849
    And now, this:
    Inner peace.jpg
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    And now, this:
    Inner peace.jpg

CALLING 911 for you
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Try using a search engine but specify the terms and site. Using quotes can help narrow the search if there are too many results. Something like "favorite drink" <space>site:sawmillcreek.org. In this search using quotes didn't work, just using favorite drink site:sawmillcreek.org did. I'm not certain this works with all search engines, it does work with Google and Startpage.
    Given that we have to pay to even have basic functionality like being able to see images in posts... it's a little ridiculous (and I'm toning that down a *lot*) to have to use an external search engine because the forum one doesn't work, and never really has.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    Given that we have to pay to even have basic functionality like being able to see images in posts... it's a little ridiculous (and I'm toning that down a *lot*) to have to use an external search engine because the forum one doesn't work, and never really has.
    I didn't join for the search engine and I doubt that very many did. Good that you think maintaining a site like this is free. I guess you think Keith should go bankrupt for your benefit. The minimum subscription price works out to 50 cents per month. You can't even get one gas station coffee for that. The knowledge base alone is worth far more than that. You're entitled to your opinion though.

Your comment is a bit like blaming Hertz because you think the Ford you rented should get better mileage.

In a universe that lacks Google, the developers of vBulletin might have some incentive to provide a useful search function. In the actual universe this forum exists in, eh, not so much. (Whether they could develop a useful search function is, at best, debatable.) Either way, it has absolutely zero to do with how much/little SMC charges for access.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

The existence of Google, etc. is no excuse for the lack of a functional search engine on *this* site. I'm a (paying) member on other forums/sites that also use vBulletin, and they pretty much *all* have better search functionality than this one.

The existence of Google, etc. is no excuse for the lack of a functional search engine on *this* site. I'm a (paying) member on other forums/sites that also use vBulletin, and they pretty much *all* have better search functionality than this one.

I would stick with them then you don't need us. I'm sure we can find a way to make up the loss of your high priced memebership
    When I started the thread I wanted to find out what people drink and the search engine told me orange shellac LOL so Made fun of it. I would never give up this Knowledge base for the lack of a search engine
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 11-11-2021 at 10:13 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If those other forums were about woodworking, I might.

I actually don't have a problem with the forum or the community, or paying for better features and access. But paying for better features and access and still lacking what constitutes a very basic amenity...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There is a trick to getting better results with the search engine on SMC.

As an example a box was made of poplar for a friend of mine to hold a bunch of files. My search term > poplar file box < didn't give any hits on my post. In fact it gave about one hit and a couple wanna bees:

Attachment 467792

For some reason the programing of a search through SMC includes a > www. < before sawmillcreek.org (note the dot after www).

Removing the > www. < then hitting return gives a much better result with the post being sought at the top:

Attachment 467793

Incase anyone cares > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?286634 < Not only did it include the wanted post it also had about 179 hits.

There may be a programmer somewhere who could fix this, but it has come up often and so far no fix.

As far as my favorite pre bedtime drink:

Attachment 467794

My last bottle was finished months ago. Maybe a bottle shoud go on the next shopping list.

jtk

- it makes you say neeeeeeeek!
    If those other forums were about woodworking, I might.

I actually don't have a problem with the forum or the community, or paying for better features and access. But paying for better features and access and still lacking what constitutes a very basic amenity...
    Monte, many years ago the search function worked very well. One of the V-Bulletin software upgrades changed it. It is beyond my pay grade to know if this was something V-Bulletin did or if it was an option selected by an administrator.

My post quoted above explains how to correct the search criteria to obtain great results.

Search engines are great tools. Like many great tools some of us get better results from them than others.

Many of us benefit greatly from SMC, reading posts and following the advice they share. Many find it well worth putting up with a few quirks to have such a community.

jtk

--BTW, Candy brought home a bottle of Kraken for me yesterday.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Many of us benefit greatly from SMC, reading posts and following the advice they share. Many find it well worth putting up with a few quirks to have such a community.
    Absolutely agreed. Just because I want to be better doesn't mean I don't appreciate what it already is.

You're fortunate. I only frequent one other site that uses vBulletin (a computer OS and applications site so should be fairly IT savvy) and it's search function works about as well as this one.

I was thinking about what people like to drink, so I searched for Favorite drink and the first 3 that came up were for Orange Shellac and the forth was do you have a PC in your shop. To be honest I've never had much luck with the creeks search engine, so I just ask what I want to know now LOL

So hey whats your favorite drink?
    Bottled carbonated mineral water. I buy it by the 12-bottle case for about €2.50.

There is a trick to getting better results with the search engine on SMC.

{snip}

There may be a programmer somewhere who could fix this, but it has come up often and so far no fix.
    XenForo. According to vBulletin, version 4.2.5 reached its end of life for support in December 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Good that you think maintaining a site like this is free. I guess you think Keith should go bankrupt for your benefit.
    Yawn...I could be wrong, but I doubt anyone is forcing Keith to finance the SMC. If I find interesting content on the Internet that is behind a pay wall or adblock detection banner, I can decide if I want to pay to play or whitelist the site. If the only cost for entry is to view a few ads relevant to the topic, I will whitelist the site in my adblocker.

I would stick with them then you don't need us. I'm sure we can find a way to make up the loss of your high priced memebership
    When I started the thread I wanted to find out what people drink and the search engine told me orange shellac LOL so Made fun of it. I would never give up this Knowledge base for the lack of a search engine
    It doesn't take long for the Old Guard to swoop down and circle the wagons whenever a member criticizes the SMC. Comments like the one I bolded are condescending, in my opinion, and do not foster good will.

I joined SMC in May 2017 when I was searching for popular woodworking discussion boards in preparation for my retirement. Although I was stationed in Germany, I still had easy access to U.S. vendors and the USPS, which was helpful. Despite a few international members, the SMC is primarily focused on U.S. tools, techniques, and resources. I became a "Contributor" soon after joining because I wanted to buy some items offered in the Classified section.

Since retiring in 2019 and remaining in Germany, I no longer have access to the USPS or U.S. vendors. I am relying more on the resources from vendors and other discussion boards that are local to me or more international in focus. I did not renew my "Contributor" status with SMC and do not have any regrets. The SMC is a fine community, but it is no longer relevant to me. I still pop in from time to time out of curiosity, but aside from making a post, such as this, I do not bother to log in. I view the content as a "Guest" and discovered the only difference in privileges between a "Member" and a "Guest" is the ability to make a post. As such, there is no point in logging in to view the content available to a "Member". I might change my mind later if the site ever converts to XenForo. It's only been four years since the initial announcement of the conversion, so baby steps.

I wish you well, and let the flaming resume.

remember google is spending around 27,000 million dollars a year on their search engine so at some point it is easier and cheaper to just use them to search the Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    remember google is spending around 27,000 million dollars a year on their search engine so at some point it is easier and cheaper to just use them to search the Creek.
    Yup. See also: "Wheel, reinvention of".

Yawn...I could be wrong, but I doubt anyone is forcing Keith to finance the SMC. If I find interesting content on the Internet that is behind a pay wall or adblock detection banner, I can decide if I want to pay to play or whitelist the site. If the only cost for entry is to view a few ads relevant to the topic, I will whitelist the site in my adblocker.

There have been some discussions in the past about the economics of maintaining this forum. I don't recall any for a while. It's not like this site has a couple million members to market. We are fortunate to have the presence of a few vendors who do assist in various way's. Equipment (servers) have to be upgraded to maintain the accessibility and data storage. I think it's safe to say that Keith isn't gold plating his bath fixtures with the profits from this site.
    There are some who have complained that free membership should give them access to everything including photos. I for one don't mind the pittance it costs to be a contributor and full member. I understand your situation and the reduced value it has for you being in Europe (Germany). I know from past posts you're a very capable woodworker in your own rite. There is a vast and diverse knowledge base in here and while I mostly read and observe and try to learn it's worth the cost of admission for me. I appreciate your view however and respect your right to it. As I said before the search engine is irrelevant to me. Bill is correct in that there are better ways to search anyway because they spend billions to make them better. Carry on.