Thread: How Do You Store Your Handscrews?

Blog Entries

How Do You Store Your Handscrews?

I stored them on a length of knotted rope in an out of the way corner in the old shop.

This worked great. I have over-planned the new shop to where there isn't really a corner that doesn't already have a more important purpose .

My plan was for some sort of as-yet-to-be-determined fixture that would cleat mount or something like that. This general sense of what I would do was never really well formulated though. I figure we have a lot of clever people around here. I have around 4 each of 12", 10", 8", and 6". How do you store yours?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glen ,I know woodworkers are supposed to use wood. However sometimes steel is so much easier , I made a hanging wall rack by simply taking a a piece of flat stock and welding two lengths of 1'' square tubing to it at 90 degrees after drilling two holes to screw it to a stud. These work very well and it is quick and easy to grab handscrews or put them away.

I have two smaller ones and they go on the wall on a long screw...at least they will if I ever unpack the box they are in. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Similar to Mike, I hang mine on the metal shelf support brackets from the hardware store that seem to be nearly universal.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I hang mine on a dowel. I have 7 total in 3 sizes, and they fill it nicely. My clamp rack is up near the ceiling and looks like a giant horrible coat rack, with a little shelf above for router bits, Foredom bits, etc.

I attached a cleat to a short corner wall and clamp them to that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Mine are attached to my trusses. The ceiling joist is only about 7 1/2 foot from the floor and opened. I'm 6'1" tall so hanging them on the joist are easy for me. Tighten them down and they stay put. Out of the way and leaves more room on the walls for my other clamps.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I’m not sure I would do it this way again, but here’s what I did. I removed a couple so you can see …

A91F553C-301C-48C4-B46E-2F7C6951EF31.jpg

Best way I’ve seen is use small plywood pieces out fitted with good castors. Put one vertical standard in the center of each cart.
    Most shops don’t come up with good storage until some guy gets a severe hand injury from shifting hand carried clamps.

The butt end of hand screws sit nicely on a flat shelf. They line up perfectly and use very little space, the width of each hand screw is all it takes. No need to take time to open or close them as you would on some hangers.

I have a 1” maple dowel in the hanging clothes rod part of a shelf bracket I screwed to the wall.

All my clamps are hung over the handle and butt up against the shelf.

My handscrews are clamped ONTO the dowel and I just loosen them as I need them.

The shelf bracket with clothes rod frees up lots of real estate on the wall and it’s right behind me when I’m at the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I attached a cleat to a short corner wall and clamp them to that.
    Like Brian, but use corner post of shelves.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I factored a lot of your suggestions in and ended up here. First I should mention that I don't know how I got along without a laser level. This one was reasonable but lacks a gimbal-lock and other things a pro might want. It has been invaluable in the shop build.

I thought about a lot of variations, orientations, and so on but, this seems like the best fit for my shop.

"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glen that is the same way my rack holds the clamps. Yours is a lot nicer looking than my steel one, no more functional though. Nice use of space.

Ive always kept mine similar to Brian and Jay's, but your solution is far better. Mine are stored on a vertical bar and they have to be tightened to the bar. Your option is going on the wall shortly. I use hand screws like mad.. clamping, work holding/stabilizing leg, I will often clamp one leg of the screw to the bench and use the other leg as a vertical vise for edge work (I dont have some hoopdy doopdy bench with vises in the shop).

Your option is simple, compact, perfect. Simplest of things.. now.. the laser?,.... I guess..