Thread: FEIN Turbo II acoustic foam replacement

FEIN Turbo II acoustic foam replacement

After what must be close to 20 years, my Fein Turbo II sound deadening insulation inside the top housing has deteriorated to the point of being ineffective as a sound absorbing barrier and crumbles if touched... I can get to it easy enough, and it would appear that i'd need 2 thicknesses (roughly 1/2" and 1" thick) of sound deadening foam insulation to replace/repair. Has anybody ever done this and found a good place to get this insulation in small quantities? I would only need a few square feet at most. A link to a source would be much appreciated
    Thanks!
    Brad

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I went to Ebay, searched "acoustic foam" and found foam with self stick adhesive on one side. It was smooth both sides. What I'm seeing on Ebay now looks to have one egg crate side. People who work with foam often use electric carving knives to cut it. I needed to cut some pretty dense foam and didn't have an electric carving knife. I put the highest tooth count bandsaw blade I had on the bandsaw and gave it a shot. Worked great, it was fairly dense foam though.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I went to Ebay, searched "acoustic foam" and found foam with self stick adhesive on one side. It was smooth both sides. What I'm seeing on Ebay now looks to have one egg crate side. People who work with foam often use electric carving knives to cut it. I needed to cut some pretty dense foam and didn't have an electric carving knife. I put the highest tooth count bandsaw blade I had on the bandsaw and gave it a shot. Worked great, it was fairly dense foam though.
    Curt,
    Yeah, thanks. I'm basically encountering the same thing. Either the material is egg crate style, or it's already adhered to some style of rigid panel and wouldn't work well in a contoured enclosure. The search continues...

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Hi John,
    Thanks. I like what you pointed to, but shipping is a bit on the high side because it's sold in 2'x6' size and i'd never use all of that. I may call them and see what they can do...

Whatever you buy, make sure it is fire rated, or at least won't off-gas toxic chemicals when heated. Rockwool is used in commercial applications. Good with heat and is an acoustic treatment. May be hard to find a small piece of it, and then adhere it, but you might be able to get a free scrap from a local commercial HVAC provider.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid View Post
    Hi John,
    Thanks. I like what you pointed to, but shipping is a bit on the high side because it's sold in 2'x6' size and i'd never use all of that. I may call them and see what they can do...
    Maybe they can send you a free sample .
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Maybe they can send you a free sample .
    I would be in favor of that