Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical inspection

I sold one of my spec houses, one year, to an Electrician. He was more impressed with the looks of the electrical work than anything else. He said he didn't understand a lot of what I showed him, but he knew electrical work, and if the rest of the house was done to that level, it was good enough for him.

I think one thing impresses inspectors is the wiring inside the breaker box. Everything neat and straight, wires from that same circuit bundled with tiny wire ties with 90-deg bends at the breakers and ground/common blocks instead of spaghetti wiring I often see done by “pros” in a hurry. For me it makes things easier to trace, understand at a glance, and work on later if needed. If that level of attention to detail is done in the panel perhaps they assume the same care is done everywhere.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I think one thing impresses inspectors is the wiring inside the breaker box. Everything neat and straight, wires from that same circuit bundled with tiny wire ties with 90-deg bends at the breakers and ground/common blocks instead of spaghetti wiring I often see done by “pros” in a hurry. For me it makes things easier to trace, understand at a glance, and work on later if needed. If that level of attention to detail is done in the panel perhaps they assume the same care is done everywhere.

JKJ
    White I'm sure being neat is uber-effective with an inspector, I do it that way for my own sake! The wiring in the main panel of our new home is a nightmare including the old practice of not differentiating grounds and neutrals on their separate busses, even though they are bonded. That's going to make for major fun when we either add solar or a generator and the main panel becomes effectively a subpanel.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    White I'm sure being neat is uber-effective with an inspector, I do it that way for my own sake!...
    I mentioned that for me, it makes things easier. I always do it the same way whether it might be inspected or not. So many times I've dug into someone's panel and spent forever just figuring out what went where.

The worst I've seen was at a children's camp, church building, and some area shops and homes in the central highlands in Mexico. Not only was wiring a mess, many times it was simply wired incorrectly, sometimes unsafely. A mess in a panel makes it so much harder to understand what is good and what is not. In one I found a 50 amp breaker feeding a conductor which was twisted and taped (no junction box) to 14 ga wires feeding a water heater maybe 100' away on top of the rafters in an attic.

My dad built spec houses for 30 years, and when my older brother was in high school he worked on them with my dad. When the electician came in (my dad used the same guy on as many houses as he could) he would run the wire but my brother wire the panel. The electrical inspector told my dad that he could always tell when my brother had wired the panel, as his work was 10 times cleaner and neater than the electrician's work on other houses. My dad never had issues with his electrical inspections.