Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical inspection

Electrical inspection

I recently installed a new subpanel and a few outlets for my workshop, but this is my first time actually having my electrical work inspected. What state will they generally want to see it in? I assume they'll look in aide the main and subpanels, but should outlets have their covers off?

I'm confident everything is to code, but want to have things prepped the way they like it so we're not wasting anyone's time.

Depends on jurisdiction, but around here, there is rough electrical inspection, which is basically wires and boxes in place, no devices connected, and no live connections. In other words, you can wire the subpanel, but connection to main panel breaker is not made (although breaker should be in place). Then there is final electical, which is everything hooked up, all devices wired and mounted in place. They will test for GFCI/AFCI at final.

Hereabouts, the required inspections are listed on the permit.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

There is zero useful info on the permit, unfortunately.

I see no mention anywhere of needing a rough and final inspection, but given the lack of useful information, anything is possible. I already have everything hooked up, so will probably just go with that and see what they say. I'll also ask when I schedule the inspection.

I make it as easy as possible for them, like leaving the panel covers off, and nothing in the way of where they have to walk.

Tom is spot on about making it easy...covers off so your careful work shows. There has to be at least one circuit on a sub-panel, too, to get final inspection approval. I found that out the hard way for mine in the temporary shop. That said, call the jurisdiction and speak with the individual responsible for building codes to get an understanding what they expect/require. It SHOULD have been in the papers that came with the permit right down to "who to call" for inspection. Sounds like that was not the case in your situation. Mine was very explicit about the process.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There's a number to call to schedule the inspection but no details on what the inspection is.

That said, my experience has been that our city inspectors are friendly and helpful, so I'm not too worried and when I call they'll probably give me the run down of what they'll want.

I'll plan on having all the panels open. I was curious if they'd want the outlets open as well, but I can ask them.

Maybe just call the inspector at the number given...in my jurisdiction, the number was actually his cell phone as one contracted company has the whole "cradle to grave" on zoning and building stuff for the borough.

I suggest you leave the covers off the receptacles as a hedge. Have them right there ready to install "after approval", as it were.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Liebling View Post
    I recently installed a new subpanel and a few outlets for my workshop, but this is my first time actually having my electrical work inspected. What state will they generally want to see it in? I assume they'll look in aide the main and subpanels, but should outlets have their covers off?
    I'm confident everything is to code, but want to have things prepped the way they like it so we're not wasting anyone's time.
    Call the inspector so you will provide what they want and avoid misunderstandings. The last time I had inspections was in my previous house when I put in a new subpanel and added two rooms. I talked to the city inspector first to find out what he wanted to see. Their requirement was two inspections, the first with all the new wires in place before the walls were covered. I don't remember what what was expected for the second inspection because it never happened. The inspector came to the first inspection, looked at everything, asked me some questions, then said to just call him when I was done and he would sign off on it. What?!! He said I obviously knew what I was doing and he didn't need to come back. I was "shocked." (excuse the pun) Maybe you'll luck out and get an inspector like that.

John, that kinda mirrors my recent experience. The inspector actually did come back for the final, but he saw how neat the conduit, etc., was and was more inclined to make small talk about woodturning. He didn't really look at anything much at all. But in a sense, this is what I wanted out of pulling a permit. It provided the opportunity to work with the local folks in this new-to-us jurisdiction before taking on a major project. I got to get to know them and vice versa.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    John, that kinda mirrors my recent experience. The inspector actually did come back for the final, but he saw how neat the conduit, etc., was and was more inclined to make small talk about woodturning. He didn't really look at anything much at all. But in a sense, this is what I wanted out of pulling a permit. It provided the opportunity to work with the local folks in this new-to-us jurisdiction before taking on a major project. I got to get to know them and vice versa.

Smart move and good planning! Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I recently moved to a new community. One of the toughest things about moving was leaving all my “guys” (although one was a gal). After 45 years in the community I had accrued a set of tradesmen that I trusted and felt comfortable with, some were the second generation.
    When I asked my car guy for a recommendation of a mechanic in Des Moines he had nothing. But he advised me to go to city hall and ask the city inspectors. He said asking for a carpenter or plumber may be a conflict of interest, but not mechanic. He said the inspectors know the trades people and tradesmen talk amongst themselves. Always good to get to know the inspectors in your area.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Most of the time, I would try to be away when any Inspector came. They always want to stay, and talk about other stuff, and waste my time.

For the final always leave one cover plate off so it is easy for the inspector to point out that it is missing. "oh I am sorry, I have one right here to put on it". It makes them feel loved and important. It also distracts them from picking out other things. The other thing is to make sure there is nothing closer than three feet in front of any breaker panel.

I found that if the wiring was done "neatly" the inspection goes better. I had one inspector tell me that he can tell a lot by how the wiring looks.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I found that if the wiring was done "neatly" the inspection goes better. I had one inspector tell me that he can tell a lot by how the wiring looks.

Mike
    My local inspector "resembles that remark"...he didn't even look at anything for the final other than how neat the conduit was and that everything was labeled. We switched to talking about woodturning at that point while he scribbled his signature on the form. (he could have opened anything up or asked me to open anything up and I wasn't worried, anyway)
    --