Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

8 Nov 2021

Greetings,
    My oldest son is in the MICU at the age of 31. He's had a few strokes and blood pressure over 200. I've been on the road driving across 3 states to visit him and the hospital, so no shop time for me. I'm sorry this is so short, but it's all I can muster at the moment.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis hope your son gets better.

Dennis, I'll be thinking of you and your family. Best wishes for your son.

No shop time for me this weekend, as the weather was great so I was putting the yard to bed for the winter. I have a substantial number of perennial beds with drip irrigation, so I winterized all those while cleaning up the last leaves and other debris. Also mowed the lawn.

Dennis, hopeful thoughts are flowing for your son.

I didn't do all that much this past week outside of a little CNC work for a friend who does resin inlays and cleaning up the brush pile along a fence on our property...took advantage of being able to put the stuff with similar material at our old property as it remains unsold to-date. (Grrrr) Four trailer loads! Going forward, I can dispose of the stuff in the trash as we do not burn. Also finally unpacked and setup my music gear, at least partially. So other than some boxes of "decorative" items, we're finally "unpacked" after being in the house for six months.

My "winter" woodworking project will likely be an acoustic/electric guitar very similar to the Fender AcoustaSonic Telecaster, An online friend who built one provided me with his files to learn from and it should be an interesting project. I don't anticipate a huge about of time is going to be spent in the temporary shop if it gets really cold. The space is uninsulated and I don't want to spend a fortune using resistance electric. But hopefully, a good part of the time the weather will remain reasonable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Monday, had whole body scan at dermatologist. Several spots frozen off. Tuesday went in for surgery on place on nose that was sampled back in Aug. After four different cuttings got a clean edge, meaning all the cancer cells. Spent FOUR HOURS in reconstructive surgery. Surgeon took part of ear to fill in hole (1.2cm X 1.9cm.) Face looks like I was hit by a dump truck-head on! No major pain. After surgery, stopped at grocery store to pick up fried chicken. Little girl, about four years old was staring at me. My ear, eye, and nose were all bandaged . Told her I was late for Halloween, which put her at ease. Put away several items from State Fair Ministry. Made lemon poppy seed muffins (first time) on Friday night, and pork chop biscuits on Saturday morning. Distributed them to grandson and group widows on Saturday morning. Had another grandson over for dinner on Sunday. Spent lots of time resting and recovering in my easy chair. Go back tomorrow for removal of bandages.

1) Started building a jig for my router table to make box joints. I had made one for my table saw but didn't 'love' it. I broke the keyhole router bit so I had to wait for the new one to arive.
    2) Upgraded to a sawstop and sold my Jet contractor saw to someone who will continue to make good use out of it.
    3) Help my daughter paint some parts for her Jeep, so now she's taken over my workbench for a day or two.
    4) Well as long as others posted there medical stuff, got the all clear on my PSA - 3.5 years cancer free. ***** If you are male and 40 or over, go get your PSA tested. Prostate cancer isn't just an older man's issue.
    5) Asked my wife to come up with something new for me to build

Dennis, hoping for the best for your son.

Bruce, that does not sound like fun....very quick thinking with the little girl.

Kitchen walls are primed and ready for painting, although I have to do the ceiling first. Sent the dog to day care today so I could staple down the 1/2 underlayment. She does not like nailers of any kind and since I knew I would be stapling all day I decided to spare her the trauma. Got the underlayment finished, so after I finish painting it's cabinet time, finally.

Spent all day Saturday working outside. Fired up the skid steer to move the compost from last years leaves and make room for this years, and cleared all the deadfall from the trail in the woods while I had the skid steer going. The I spent a few hours picking up leaves. At the end of Saturday, the leaf vac started making an ominous buzzing/grinding sound so I shut it down and parked it to look at Sunday. Turned out the bolts securing the impeller housing had come loose allowing the housing to rub the impeller sometimes. But to tighten the bolts you have remove the impeller and that turned out to be a real b#%$#. It's just held onto the keyed motor shaft with a bolt into the end of the shaft and is supposed to just slide off once the bolt is out, but no go. Long story short, I was finally able to move it enough on the shaft to allow me to drill a couple holes through the impeller, which I then tapped for jack screws that allowed me to get the darn thing off. Wasted pretty much a whole day fussing with it. I still have to fix the real problem and then put it all back together.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

D4D88680-B443-488A-B02C-6B6E758B0E28.jpgA5EDF1B4-C9CF-4A7C-B04A-0D6D3F70E9B9.jpg

Dennis, hope things go well for your son.

Bruce, hope you heal well, good thinking with the Hallowe’en comment.

I finally completed my book box for the raised flower bed, cedar shingles,traditional doors with glazing for the glass, and LED lighting with a WIFI controller.

Regards, Rod

Roughed out twenty sheets of plywood to build closet lockers and ripped down poplar for face frames. I'll try to paint some of the stock today. Bought a new router as the old Ryobi is breathing its last.

Replaced the suspension on the clothes washer that came with the house and found that the shaft and bushing for the inner tub are worn and allowing about 1/2" play at the top of the drum. However, no leaks. At least the walking has been tempered with the suspension change. Still, it appears it maybe time for a new clothes washer and this one is less than 6 years old. In 47 years of marriage, this will be the 4th washing machine purchase and one of those was purchased used 7 or 8 years ago and still in use by one of the granddaughters.