Thread: shopping for a scroll saw

shopping for a scroll saw

i am in the market for getting a scroll saw,,,,my granddaughter is wanting one and i feel like it would be the safest tool to start with but my only concern is the best user friendly scroll saw,,i have looked at all of themm on amazon and its not really the price im looking at but the easiest one to change blades on and the noise level and the vibration,,,and needless to say they have cheap ones and the more expensive ones,,,but i figure its not so much about the price but the quality,,and i have no experience with one,,,and i do woodworking but needless to say a scroll saw i have never had no experience with one

Jeff, I have an Excalibur 21" but they went out of business with General International a few years ago. However, it looks like King Industrial bought the patent. The newest versions appear to be the same design but with some improvements such as dust collection.

What I like about it, the sawing mechanism tilts and the table remains horizontal which to me makes it easier to move the material being sawn.

Check around for pricing as Woodcraft has the 16" King at a lower price than Amazon when I checked just now.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've been very happy with my Dewalt. If only for your granddaughter, you could even look at something like a Dremel scroll saw. Even something with pin style blades which are very easy to change, but more limited blade choices. All my plans for our grandson change every 6 months as his interests change. I'd keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace and buy someone else's beginner machine when they upgrade.

My Wen $121 variable speed scroll saw was just delivered & I just looked at it in the box.

It has a very small table compared to other better (an not as good for that matter) saws.

The online reviews say it vibrates, is not real user friendly, has a couple of major flaws - that are easily corrected - and blade changes are difficult. The "better" one - the 3921 is the one I got - uses both pinned and pinless blades - but - you need an adapter that really doesn't function and is miserable to install - to use pinless blades.

Having said all that - overall - the Wen 3921 has an overwhelming positive following - including a lot of seasoned users. They rate it very highly for a first time saw or one that sees limited use.

In cae you're wondering why I'd "waste my money" on a Wen - I think Wen is decent value. You seem to get a lot of user friendly features as well as a decently made tool for the money. Like the OP - I have never used a scroll saw and I have no idea if I'll find any real use for one. I bought it for one simple reason. Price.
    I paid $127 for mine and most of the reviews from as recent as last year - heap prize on the $85 Wen scroll saw. I just wanted to get ahead of the next big price increase.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The members of "www.scrollsawvillage.com" can provide more help. That's all they talk about over there.

Charley

The members of "www.scrollsawvillage.com" can provide more help.
    +1 - thanks for that link by the way..
    The reviews over there and how the members felt about the Wen are what made up my mind to pull the trigger on one.
    (anyone knowing a site similar about bandsaws please sing out!)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon