Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any car battery experts

any car battery experts

Time for a battery in the save money car 2003 Saturn Ion. (yeah I can hear the laughter) The delco in it just failed and is exactly 8 years old. Impressive. Going to go with a third Interstate Battery again that I use in the truck and wagon. Service has been a slug but it will get approached again this week

First question was if the 78 series battery (800 CCA) will fit the car. It has a 75 series now the delco that is 600 CCA. The equivalent interstate is either 700 or 750 I think 700. Id like to use the 78 series but it was not answered if it would fit, asked twice.

Took the 75 out put a 78 I had around in and it fits fine width wise even though wider. The metal hold down will not work but I will cut it and weld a piece on to make it longer.

Next this 78 has top and side terminals and the battery height clearance is fine other than the terminals that I dont need are too tall. I could cut them off. On the buick I like them as i hook up my trailer brakes to them here they stop the trunk thing you lift up from sitting flat so they are too tall.

Next thing I notice is the 75 has a vent tube, I guess being in the trunk so the interior they vent the batter with two small hole things on each side. This is not on the 78 series so I wonder if the venting is even needed. If I get another 75 series rather than the large one im not sure if its a special battery to have those vents or the 78 series are sealed and even in the trunk (interior) it is fine.

I called Elon but hes not returning my calls.

Any smarts appreciated ill get on it again tomorrow. i can take a few photos later.

thanks

Blog Entries
    All wet cell batteries need to vent. However, since the battery will now be in the engine compartment there is no need to connect the vent tubes to anything.

thanks its not in engine compartment its in the trunk and the trunk is the interior, even more so when both rear seats are folded down

there is nt vent on the 78 series unles they make a seperate battery which is not likely, so the logical question is how will this work

I'm not much of an expert because for some dumb reason I get great life out of most batteries I buy- Like my 2002 F-250 pickup, it's original battery blew its brains out on our launch ramp at almost 11-1/2 years old, that was August-ish, 2013. The battery that replaced it, just a basic Walmart battery, is still going strong over 8 years later. This truck is never garaged and temps around here go from minus-double-digits to well into the hundreds...

The exception to my good battery luck is with, ironically, Walmart's cheapass "1-year" batteries. I've had 2 of those go stone cold kaput at 13 months. Can't say I didn't get what I paid for
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

id be calling the Guiness book of world records with that first one. Ive never heard longer than 8 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    id be calling the Guiness book of world records with that first one. Ive never heard longer than 8 years.
    I still have the original battery in my 2012 Pilot which I purchased new.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Just replaced the Optima Yellow top in my CJ7 after 10 years and 2 months with a Deca/East Penn (made in the USA).
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The battery that replaced it, just a basic Walmart battery, is still going strong over 8 years later.

The exception to my good battery luck is with, ironically, Walmart's cheapass "1-year" batteries. I've had 2 of those go stone cold kaput at 13 months. Can't say I didn't get what I paid for
    We own a 94 Ford Areostar van. Original battery 8 years, and next two replacements, eight years also. Current battery is Walmart one year cheapie ($49.99), which is on it's third year. Same battery (made by Excide) at Walmart, with two year warranty was almost twice as much. Rural King also sells this battery, with a five year prorated warranty, for $59.99. Prices were selling price three years ago. How do I know they are the same battery? All three are made by Exide and weigh 42.5 pounds, plus CCA's and other specs are the same. As for interstate batteries, look up who makes which batteries. Major players are: Johnson Controls, Exide, East Penn (Decca) Delco, Motorcraft. Both Advance and Autozone sell Johnson Control batteries. Starter motor battery on stand by generator is only eleven years old. It may not work the next time, but it did first of the week for monthly test. I do keep a "Battery Tender connected full time to it.

saturn guy said get the 75 it needs the two side vent things. Dont get why they are only on 75 series.

What they are venting is Hydrogen gas, which is no problem except for the fact it is explosive.

I wouldn't put the unvented one in the passenger compartment of a car my family rides in. That's why they have the special vent tubes.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

My ‘99 diesel truck has two large batteries wired in series. The factory set lasted over 10 years. Been running on the “new” batteries almost 10 years now. I don’t use it every day if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    What they are venting is Hydrogen gas, which is no problem except for the fact it is explosive.

I wouldn't put the unvented one in the passenger compartment of a car my family rides in. That's why they have the special vent tubes.
    Yes and Yes and Yes!

thanks guys finally got the battery guy and he didnt know, asked if there is someone he can call or a number I can call and got an I dont know. will pick up the 75 series vented. Likely there are some other gases in that car from time to time.

Likely wont shop same place next time. 75 Series 700 cold crank amps.

The best battery I ever had was one I got from Les Schwab. It was a sealed gel-cell battery, so it needed no maintenance and no venting. It lasted longer than the vehicle I had it in (about 8 years). It was a little more expensive than a standard battery but worth it. I believe the modern equivalent would be one of their yellow-top batteries.

The irony is that that old battery was still starting the truck just fine until I shut down on the launch ramp that day...
    --I parked the boat, came back to retrieve the truck and when the starter relay hit, **BANG**!!

Actually is was more of a loud-ish POP, the battery was split almost completely in half... the thing actually blew its brains out! Something inside gave up and shorted out...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle