Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Maintenance

Router Maintenance

Hi All,

I bought a used Ridgid router off Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). It's been working well but I just tried switching it from the plunge base to the fixed base and it was hell as it was stuck tight. I managed to loosen it but now wondering if I should add some wax or something to help the motor slide into the base better? I tried googling and saw different opinions so rather than trusting what's on google figured I'd ask this group?

Thanks in advance!

Aluminum against aluminum tends to bind over time. I keep a can of Johnson's paste wax in the shop for such things but rubbing an old candle works too.

Would minwax paste work as well? The Johnson paste is $40 on Amazon here as I don’t think it’s generally available.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Reyes View Post
    The Johnson paste is $40 on Amazon here as I don’t think it’s generally available.
    Wow $40? Where are you in the world? At my location it is ~$6.50 for a one pound can at Homedepot..

Would minwax paste work as well? The Johnson paste is $40 on Amazon here as I don’t think it’s generally available.
    I would think Minwax would be fine, probably any wax would work. Avoid automotive waxes with silicone of course.

Canada. Haha, I think someone is buying it in the US and selling it here on Amazon.

Blog Entries
    It must be a US thing. I remember Johnson's paste wax from years ago, but I very much doubt if there is any retailer in the whole city of Calgary that carries it. I've looked & called just about everywhere that might. I've only seen it on Amazon at a truly outrageous price

Frank, here’s the reason it’s expensive ….our can is about 50 years old ! And it’s passed around among relatives.

Maybe I can smuggle some across the border in my spare tire. I sense a fiscal opportunity here.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

This is exactly why I love shopping in Montana. And now in one more day Canadians can finally cross the border by land again. Hello Peanut butter captain crunch, wild cherry diet pepsi, sharp cheddar cheese ,restocking my depleted oil filter stash ,and dare I say it Harbor fright tools....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    This is exactly why I love shopping in Montana. And now in one more day Canadians can finally cross the border by land again. Hello Peanut butter captain crunch, wild cherry diet pepsi, sharp cheddar cheese ,restocking my depleted oil filter stash ,and dare I say it Harbor fright tools....
    Trade you for some ketchup chips and couple of Caramilk bars. Coffee Crisp is great too.

Gotta ask.

Ketchup chips?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Honestly, I think an old candle would be as good if not better than paste wax. Paste wax is just easy to apply and only ~$5 a can here in the US. If I was looking at $40 a can I would be using candles. I didn't know minwax made a paste wax but any softened wax or even hard wax should do the job.

I guess you could always try rubbing some ketchup chips on the mating surfaces. You never know, it might work great!
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 11-08-2021 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Gotta ask.

Ketchup chips?
    https://thetakeout.com/what-canadian...mer-1798251510

Where are you Edwin ? I would bring ketchup chips, I hate them. My kids used to talk their mother into bringing those home. I have to haul creamed honey to my brother in Idaho along with Tim Horton's donuts.