Thread: Jatoba table top

Jatoba table top

Anyone have experience working with large tops using Jatoba? I have 3 8/4 boards I bought today to make into a 9’ x 30” table top. It’s incredibly heavy and hard but was too beautiful and different from my usual walnut and oak choices to pass up.

I’m not too concerned about milling the boards flat and square and doing a typical edge glue up. I’m wondering if I need to do anything special to keep it from cupping over time though. It’ll sit on a metal structure with some points that allow screws to hold it securely down and allow for movement. But those points can flex so if this wood is known for cupping I’m wondering if I need to do more to keep it flat over time. I’m in northeast so lots of seasonal movement…

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rosner View Post
    … using Jatoba?
    I have used it once and it behaved exactly like cherry in milling and finishing. It went into a gift and the recipient still speaks to me, so I assume it’s been stable for the last 10 hrs.

Jatoba's radial and tangential shrinkage numbers are pretty much the same as red oak, so it's seasonal cupping should be the same.

Typo - I intended 10 Years.

Blog Entries
    It ain't moving. That is if it is related to any I've used over the years. It doesn't move hardly at all, ever.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others