Thread: Posting photos - old plane identification

Posting photos - old plane identification

Hi all, I’m new to the forum as looking for some help identifying an old plane I’ve picked up. How do you attach photos to posts? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure you have to pay the $6 annual "contributor fee" to see and post pics. The fee also allows you to post and comment in the Classifieds section.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Wilkes View Post
    Hi all, I’m new to the forum as looking for some help identifying an old plane I’ve picked up. How do you attach photos to posts? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance
    On May 2, 2019 the privileges to view pictures was removed at the member level. Members can become contributors using the Donate Button at the top of the page to update their accounts here and obtain the ability to view pictures and access file attachments.

Posting photos is easy. Just click on the little window icon in the blue bar at the top of the Quick Reply box. I'm not sure if members can post photos for others to view or not. Only contributors can view photos.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-05-2021 at 7:54 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    O... I'm not sure if members can post photos for others to view or not. Only contributors can view photos.
    I recently saw a photo posted by a Member.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I recently saw a photo posted by a Member.
    It is easy for Members to post images that anyone can see...even any of the hundreds of unregistered guests that happen to stop by. By using an external hosting service, the images are fetched by the user's computer when the page is opened and not one byte of SMC bandwidth is used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    It is easy for Members to post images that anyone can see...even any of the hundreds of unregistered guests that happen to stop by. By using an external hosting service, the images are fetched by the user's computer when the page is opened and not one byte of SMC bandwidth is used.

Hi Ian and welcome to the Creek.

Mike and Mike are right about the first having to be a contributor, a good investment of $6, and second being able to link to images hosted externally to SMC.

One problem with externally hosted images is when the hosting server disappears from this world.

Some of the older posts archived in conferences like < https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805 > contain tremendous knowledge.

Some of the images hosted on sites have succumbed to changing policies.

Back to the OP's question:

I’m new to the forum as looking for some help identifying an old plane I’ve picked up.
    First step would be, a description of size and materials. Size makes a lot of difference. Is it a wood plane or a metallic plane?

Next would be to determine how the blade is adjusted. What angle is the blade bedded?

Are there any identification marks?

If it is a modern plane > http://www.supertool.com < can be useful to determine if the plane was a standard bench plane, block plane or a speciality plane.

Click on that old cult classic, Patrick's Blood and Gore. You may want to bookmark the third page.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)