Thread: buy waterline if you need it

buy waterline if you need it

I needed to get 800 feet of 1" waterline. My normal plumbing supplier, who is regularly noticeably cheaper than the box stores, wanted 94 cents a foot. I called a supplier in Virginia, and they wanted $1.24.

I looked online at Home Depot, and Lowes, to find that Lowes hadn't raised their prices yet. Their price is 64 cents a foot, for good made in the USA pipe in 20 foot lengths, so I went ahead, and ordered it, for pickup, online. The 20 foot lengths, which was what I was looking for, have a bell end on one end, that doesn't require separate coupling fittings.

If Black Polyethylene had been half the cost of PVC, which it normally is, I would have used that. It was not available anywhere for less than this current Lowes price on Schedule 40 PVC.

Anyway, if you have a need in the near future, I'd go ahead, and get it now.

thks for the heads up

I had to go to 2 big box stores to find the few 1/2" and 3/4" cpvc fittings that I needed, many cpvc fittings were out of stock.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 11-05-2021 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarity
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Apparently the raw plastic they use to form stuff is the problem. The plastic nail on boxes used in electrical work in my area are sold out. They say "made in the USA" but they are out so I am guessing it is the raw material that is on the "boat".

As it was explained to me, it is indeed a materials supply issue. The freeze in Texas last winter damaged some of the chemical plants, which are still not back online. I hear items from plastic, vinyl siding and a myriad of other products are affected.

For this reason I am buying vinyl windows next week that I don't plan to install till spring. I don't know if they'll still be on the shelf by then, or if they sell these ones if they'll be able to restock them quickly. It's a weird situation, and I don't know how to predict which things will become hard to get next.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I looked at it. That's cheap pipe, but a little too cheap. I looked at the website of Crestline, one of the made in the USA companies that makes the black poly pipe (that I considered), and their 1" has a wall thickness of .125 inches. That Menards roll, with questionable manufacturer origin, has a wall thickness of .06 inches.

Probably not worth the few hundred dollars it would save, for peace of mind, if nothing else. The less I have to repair it, in coming years, the better.

The PVC is already on my trailer.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-06-2021 at 8:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I looked at it. That's cheap pipe, but a little too cheap. I looked at the website of Crestline, one of the made in the USA companies that makes the black poly pipe (that I considered), and their 1" has a wall thickness of .125 inches. That Menards roll, with questionable manufacturer origin, has a wall thickness of .06 inches.

Probably not worth the few hundred dollars it would save, for peace of mind, if nothing else. The less I have to repair it, in coming years, the better.

But it is NSF listed! (NSF=Not Satisfactory Fool)

What gets me is looking for copper end caps the other day at Lowes, they're useful for ferules on tool handles. The 1/2" were priced at 81¢ while the 38" were listed at $1.81. Is it that much more work to make a smaller cap?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post

It is made in the USA

I saw the thin wall thickness, and the max psi, and didn't keep looking. Not interested in cutting corners on quality, just didn't want to pay double the price of good pipe somewhere else. No Menards anywhere around here, anyway, and I already had picked up the Charlotte Pipe schedule 40 PVC.

Blog Entries
    You would want pipe rated at least 160 psi, minimum.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What gets me is looking for copper end caps the other day at Lowes, they're useful for ferules on tool handles. The 1/2" were priced at 81¢ while the 38" were listed at $1.81. Is it that much more work to make a smaller cap?
    Probably supply and demand in action here. I'm sure there are many times more 1/2" caps sold than 3/8" caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    You would want pipe rated at least 160 psi, minimum.
    The Charlotte Pipe schedule 40 is rated for 450 psi. No way was I going to the trouble to bury 800 feet of thin pipe rated to 100.