Thread: Piano Stand for a shop work stand

Piano Stand for a shop work stand

piano stand.jpg

Years ago one of my daughters had an inexpensive electric piano that didn't last as long as I had hoped When the piano went into the trash I decided to keep the stand in hopes that it might be of some value in my shop. More often than not I do this kind of thing and they usually don't pan out but the piano stand is the exception. For over twenty years I have found the piano stand to be very valuable, its used for more tasks than I can count. Mine is a Peavey model that is height adjustable at 18.5", 24.25", 29.25", 33.5", 36.75" and 39" tall. A simple push of the button and I can adjust the height almost immediately.

The stand gets almost constant use, mostly for quick and dirty jobs like painting, a handy table top to hold tools or sanding and small routing chores. I often use it to hold boards to mark for cutting and other similar jobs putting a piece of scrap plywood on top of the stand. The stand folds up flat so it doesn't take any space to store. It only weighs a couple of pounds so it can easily be moved to the yard, house or anywhere that I need a temporary stand, sometimes right beside my drill press if I am changing bits frequently.

Just in case some of you might find one of these stands in a yard sale take it home and see how useful they can be.

An ironing board would make a good stand to support long work at the drill press. And they adjust in infinite steps, probably collapse a bit if the work moves. I bet the piano stand is heavier duty?
    Bill D

An ironing board is another option but a bit to long for me. Most of the time a small surface is all I need but I wonder how tall the typical ironing board is.