Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Table Saw Blade

Your Table Saw Blade

I would be curious to know what table saw blades SMC'ers are using on their saws today. Secondly interested to know how many people use or need 14" blades.

1. What size blade: 8, 10, 12, 14
    2. What make: Freud, Forrest, Infinity, etc.
    3. TPI and blade type, i.e. 48t General Purpose, provide more detail on tooth configuration if you like.
    4. How long have you been using this blade/brand.

If you switch between a couple of blades, please list both, i.e. rip and crosscut blades.

Too many options for a Poll.

Thank you!

Easy question. The size. 10"
    All other questions are hard. It depends on what I am personally cutting. I save my custom Forrest (5 chip grind, not cheap) so I wont dull it or ruin it if I trip my brake. Most general wood cuts I use a Freud 60T combo. Ripping wood that I care about, Freud glue line rip. Bulk ripping 20T Freud. Recycling wood I use the relatively cheapo HD full kerf blade.

As a side issue, I like to use full kerf blades, and last trip to both Lowes and HD, they only carry thin kerfs. NO full kerf blades. It has been years since I've shopped for a blade, (tripped my brake for the first time last weekend) wanted to replace the cheapo blade.

My table saw uses 10 inch blades, it is a 1.75hp PCS. I have a variety of blades, mostly Freud, some thin kerf and some full kerf. I think it has a Freud thin kerf 24 tooth ripping blade on it at the moment. I use that on cross cuts in crude things but I use a general purpose Freud blade, often thin kerf, most of the time. I have a 50 tooth blade that has 40 ATB and 10 flat top rippers and a 40 tooth "fusion" blade that is a special ATB type grind. I use these blades basically interchangeably unless I am doing a really deep rip. If I am going to "nibble" some dados, I may switch to a full kerf and then leave it on until I'm doing something that I think requires a different blade. For most things, I don't find I need to use a thin kerf.

Most of the time a 10” Forrest WW2, 40 tooth 1\8 kerf. For dados, a 8” Forrest dado king. Bet you can’t tell I like Forrest blades 😁😁. I also use a few Freud blades.

Normally, with the slider I prefer to use, the blades are 12". Both are Forrest WW-II 48T. I also run my 10" blades on the same saw type as they are compatible. The 12" blades are currently in storage until I once again have a building up and a new slider in place.

In my temporary shop, I'm running 10" blades on a cabinet saw; both are Forrest WW-II 40T and date back to the early 2000s. They have been sharpened multiple times, including recently when I got them out to use after a long hiatus. I also own a Forrest WW-II 20T ripping blade that's about 15 years old. It's rarely used, but when it's the right tool for the job, it gets the nod. The cabinet saw had a Freud 10" "Glue Line Rip" blade on it when I bought it and it's a good piece of tooling. Maybe I'll get it cleaned and sharpened at some point, but I don't generally switch blades in most cases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

10" blades, I've been using Freud blades for 15 years, I'm not going through all the types and tooth configurations. Let's just say I use about half a dozen different blades, they're listed on the Freud site.

A 10" TK Freud 40 T (I think) ripping blade is on my 1.5 HP Unisaw most of the time. When cutting plywood I switch to a Popular Tools 60 or 80T HiATB FK blade which cuts super smooth. I use a Freud flat tooth FK rip blade for cutting grooves and ripping sometimes, too. For Melamine I use a FK Freud Melamine or Ultimate cross cut blade, can't remember for sure, but it cuts almost chip free, even on the bottom if I first put a piece of tape on the cut line.

John

I have been using Forrest WWII thin kerf 40t on my 1.5hp jet contractor saw. I have 2 of them so when one goes out to Forrest for sharpening, I have a fresh one to drop in. I been using them for about 15 or so years and never needed anything else.

With that said, my sawstop shows up today and I do plan to use the same blade, however given this blade is now $175, I will most likely pick up a less expensive blade or two from the big box store to use when I am not looking for the absolute best cuts in case my brake trips.

10" x 60T Freud Industrial Cabinetmaker's Crosscut Blade (LU73R010) for me.

10" 0n TS, and 12" on miter saw and RAS. Delta 7657 on TS most of the time. For veneer goods, HO Schumacher, 80 tooth variable spaced. Amana melamine blade. Many other middle of the field blades (Oldham, DeWalt, Freud, Delta, etc.) On MS, either Hitachi, or Avanti (made by Freud, not HD.) Own a couple, actually three WWII's, two of which rest peacefully in their boxes.

I use blades from 10” up to 16” on my different saws. My slider was designed for a 350mm (13.78”) blade as the standard so I have a few of them, though I use a 12” on that saw more at this point, unless I need more DOC.

Brands are all over the map, though the blades for the slider are from GDP Guhdo, which is a German industrial tooling manufacturer. The blades are among the best I’ve ever used and are priced accordingly (~$200 for a 350mm 80T ATB solid wood crosscut blade with full kerf)

I really like Tenryu blades as well and have found that they perform essentially as well as some of the more strictly industrial brands for less $. The industrial/high end line of a Freud blades also represent a good value if you need something good enough but not perfect.

Folks love Forrest and I had a WW II for years and used it, but didn’t find it to be any better than high end Freud personally and not quite to the level of the more industrial brands.

What saw are you using a 14” in?
    Still waters run deep.

A mix of 10" and 12", Forrest, Ridge, Amana, Freud. 40t general purpose ( positive hook angle, moderate tip bevel atb) blades for most work, high tip bevel and tooth count low hook angle atb for veneer, 24t with deep gullets for ripping timber, 40t triple chip for mdf. My impression is the blade design and resharpening are more important than the brand for an upper end blade from any reputable maker. Leuco, Leitz, Stehle, Popular, FS, Tenryu, etc. Bigger blades may need hand tensioning which is a craft in itself so there could well be a difference between vendors there.

My slider accepts up to 12" with just under 4" depth of cut, so I scarcely need anything bigger. We had a couple 16" blades for the Martin I used to operate but they were rarely used. More expensive to buy and maintain. Could be useful for sheet goods run low to minimize bottom tearout without scoring.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 11-05-2021 at 5:46 PM.

1. 10"
    2. & 3. Most used on combination machine are Ridge Carbide 40t, Freud Fusion 40t and Freud 60t TCG for Melamine. On Delta CS it's mostly a thin kerf Fusion. But, depending on the situation / material I might install a Freud or Forrest rip blade. Or a B&D Piranah or an Oldham Wizzard, or a Forrest Duraline, or an Amana TCG. For really questionable stuff I'll pull out some old 70-80's Craftsman carbide blades in case there are surprises embedded.
    4. 20+ years on all.

Blog Entries
    I use Freud blades almost exclusively. They are all 10" and have 60 teeth except the glue line rip blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use a 10" Freud hair line rip on my Powermatic 65. I use a Freud 12" wide (as in not narrow) kerf ripping blade on my 12 Powermatic saw.

On my 16" 7.5hp 1947 Redstar radial arm saw I use either a 16" construction type cross cut blade or a 15" Freud Ultimate cut off blade depending on what I am cutting and how smooth I need the finished cut to be. The 16" howls and rings to where hearing protection is needed to start the saw. The Freud 15" ultimate cut off is very quiet in comparison. The 12" dado stack on the RAS is like running a fan and blows most of the dust off the table.

The sliding table saw I just purchased came with a 12" combo blade and will take a 14" blade, maybe even a 16" blade. This is my first sliding table saw and I don't know what blade(s) I will end up with (I am open to suggestions). I have always ripped on the table saw and cross cut on the RAS, doing both on the sliding table saw will be new to me.