Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mechanical pencil recommendations?

For Mechanical Pencil, absolutely, 100% the Uni Kurutoga Roulette , specifically the one with the metal body. It has great feel, and the fact that the graphite constantly gets rotated means the point stays sharper longer and the graphite lasts a bit longer too.

For pens, I like the Uni Jetstream, it doesn't run, it's soft and comfortable. The 0.7 is nice for stuff that you want big, solid, etc. The 0.5 or the 0.38 is better if you write small.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    When you want a pencil for marking up stock I'm not sure what you really need. Do you want a fine line pencil, a lead holder that holds a 2mm lead, or something like a china marker that's refillable? Would a soapstone holder be appropriate for what you need? I'd like some clarification on what you'd like these for.

Everybody else has written about what they like to use so I'll chime in with my pencils preferences even though they're completely useless for the OP's needs.

For writing I like my Pentel P205 (.5mm) but it tends to tear newsprint. So for crossword puzzles I use a Pentel P209 (.9mm). For the shop I use the wood case pencils I find by the high school near my house. I've got a lifetime supply of those. The kids must have some big holes in their pockets. Wish they'd put money in those pockets instead of stationary.

BTW, I like the Pentel lead. I've tried to refill the Bic pencils with it but found the clutch can't quite grab it. The lead is too slippery.

Edit: Is this something they would use? It's nothing I've ever used but might be appropriate:

https://www.amazon.com/Listo-1620-Ma...161474&sr=8-12

-Tom
    .5 is good against a straight edge with light pressure. .7 or .9 is better if it in a tool like some of woodpeckers where you drag the pencil. Smaller the better for accuracy

I think the ones I use are Pentels but the labels have all worn off. I like 0.7 and 0.9. A few years back I bought some 0.7 lead called Gorilla lead…..it was the best. Now I’ve used it all and I can’t find it. Has anyone seen that lead?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hunkele View Post
    They don't have them now. Just below the price it says "Out of Stock."

BTW, one of my favorite mechanical pencils isn't used for marking wood. It was purchased years ago. It has a push button on the side to advance the lead.

Search for the > pentel quicker clicker < All the URLs are way long and the prices are all over the place.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use Lead Holders aka Chuck Pencils. I've had these since I started as a draftsman 40+ years ago. I've had the K&E pointer all this time too. I found the Tru-Point in an antique shop for cheap with the original box and paperwork. I like being able to use different grades (and colors) of lead to suit the wood I'm working with. For rough work I use the tried and true carpenter's pencil. I grabbed a handful at the homebuilders show last time I went and I'm set for life.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Rotring 800
    https://www.rotring.com/en/stylus/34...117900181.html

The entire tip mechanism retracts with a twist, making it much more useful in the shop (where the fine tip of a regular mechanical pencil would always seem to be getting bent or beat up)
    J'accord 100%, I still draw by hand (I find the process much more satisfying than using a computer) and this is the best I've ever used for sketching, drawing and fine woodworking layout.

For precision, first sand the wood