Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Recommendation for a High-Quality Mini Laser Engraver

Seeking Recommendation for a High-Quality Mini Laser Engraver

Boy, I haven't been here in months. I hope you're all doing well.

I have an Epilog 30-watt Zing Laser that I just love. However, I've begun to realize that I'm going to eventually need a second laser unit in my shop. This machine will be strictly for engraving.

My shop is tiny, so bench space is at a premium. Ideally, this unit would at most have a bed of no more than 12"x 12", tops. Smaller is probably even better.

I prefer to buy American, if possible. I also prefer companies like Epilog that have strong, U.S.-based phone support. I'm a patient buyer, so I typically decide on the machine I want, then search high and low till I find a clean used one in my local area (Los Angeles).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

All the Best,
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 11-03-2021 at 8:47 PM.

If you want a USA made fast C02 machine, Epilog or Universal (I think?) is about it--

--Trotec = Austria
    --Gravograph = France
    --GCC/Pinnacle = Taiwan

Kern and Keyence I believe are USA made, but they build 'specialty' machines, $$$$$$--

And I don't think any of the above companies- makers of robust, fast, reliable machines- make as small a machine as you're talking. A C02 galvo laser may work for your needs-? But the few reviews I've heard about them haven't been 'rave'...

My 2 smallest machines have 18x12" beds, my LS-100 measures 30" long x 26" deep, for what it does the space it eats is a bargain
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    If you want a USA made fast C02 machine, Epilog or Universal (I think?) is about it--

--Trotec = Austria
    --Gravograph = France
    --GCC/Pinnacle = Taiwan

Kern and Keyence I believe are USA made, but they build 'specialty' machines, $$$$$$--

And I don't think any of the above companies- makers of robust, fast, reliable machines- make as small a machine as you're talking. A C02 galvo laser may work for your needs-? But the few reviews I've heard about them haven't been 'rave'...

My 2 smallest machines have 18x12" beds, my LS-100 measures 30" long x 26" deep, for what it does the space it eats is a bargain
    Kev, great information. Thanks so much. Much as I'd love another Epilog, I simply don't have the space for that.

Are there Asian-made machines out there that might fit my needs? In addition to small size, I don't need a really powerful machine.

My apologies for my ignorance of the market. I've always got my nose to the grindstone.

Take Care,
    Scott

Blog Entries
    I don't think there is much at all out there that is less than 12x18. Even a k40 is that size or a bit larger. Yeah galvo would be slightly smaller footprint, maybe, but the base of my two fibers are 15"x22 deep and I don't think the co2 galvos are smaller.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

You may be able to find some Gravograph 12" x 18" which were made by Universal.

The P. Graham Dunn turnkey operations included them in all of their packages which I imagine numbers in the 100's.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    You may be able to find some Gravograph 12" x 18" which were made by Universal.
    This is one of them
    Optima.jpg
    1997 New Hermes 25w "Optima" made by Universal. This was my rep's demonstrator, it's been more places than most people
    He used the crap out of, replaced the tube with a rebuilt in '99, I bought it in 2001.
    This was my very first laser. My rep came across a bargain on another rebuilt tube in 2005, since it was cheap I bought and installed it.
    I ran it hard for years, sold it to my BIL, He ran it 6-8 hours every day for several more years. Still has it, still works like new. 2 years ago we replaced the power supply, a $60 unit off Amazon worked great. That and a couple of belts and one set of rail roller bearings is the extent of the maintenance & repairs for the past 20 years. Pretty bulletproof

This is my LS100, same 18x12 table size, this was also one of my rep's demo's...
    LS100.jpg
    It's a 35w machine, got a new Coherent tube that tested at 47watts when I got it, about 3 years ago, maybe 4? Anyway, it hasn't lost a step either...

They're essentially the same 'footprint' size within a few inches either way, and like John says, this is about as small as 'good' lasers get...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev, thanks so much. Am I understanding that these machines might be for sale? If so, could you PM me for details? Or you can post right in the thread, if you prefer.

It's more than I need, and probably more than I can afford, but I'm always keeping my ear to the ground.

Thanks Very Much,
    Scott

I'm afraid they're still making money, so not for sale
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Scott, you might be surprised that it is possible for you to purchase a small Trotec laser and sell your Epilog and still increase your production. This happened to me awhile back, we had a Xenetech laser at CNU and because of a huge increase in our workload needed a second laser engraver so we purchased a Trotec Speedy 300. The Trotec was so fast we stopped using the Xenetech laser even with triple our normal workload.

Engraving 6" by 8" Corian Door Signs
    Xenetech 60 watt - Engraving door signs took 12 minutes each.
    Trotech 75 watt at 150 IPS - Engraving door signs took 5 minutes each.
    My 80 watt Trotech at 150 IPS - 4 minutes per door sign.
    I also tried a one hundred watt laser from China early on and it took 24 minutes per door sign.

Just something for you to consider, plus the sale of your Epilog will help purchasing a new Trotec.

Chinese CO2 Galvo laser
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Gcc

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Chinese CO2 Galvo laser
    GCC Laserpro Venus II. 300x210mm work area. RF Tube
    Hilton Lister. NZ
    GCC Spirit 60w. Meistergram 912, Gravograph IT, Old Roland Vinyl Cutter, Hand engraving, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm afraid they're still making money, so not for sale
    More power to you, Kev. Figured that.

Bravo!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Scott, you might be surprised that it is possible for you to purchase a small Trotec laser and sell your Epilog and still increase your production. This happened to me awhile back, we had a Xenetech laser at CNU and because of a huge increase in our workload needed a second laser engraver so we purchased a Trotec Speedy 300. The Trotec was so fast we stopped using the Xenetech laser even with triple our normal workload.

Engraving 6" by 8" Corian Door Signs
    Xenetech 60 watt - Engraving door signs took 12 minutes each.
    Trotech 75 watt at 150 IPS - Engraving door signs took 5 minutes each.
    My 80 watt Trotech at 150 IPS - 4 minutes per door sign.
    I also tried a one hundred watt laser from China early on and it took 24 minutes per door sign.

Just something for you to consider, plus the sale of your Epilog will help purchasing a new Trotec.
    Ken, interesting thought. I'm open to all angles. Okay if I PM you here, or would you prefer I just post that discussion in the board here? I don't want to hijack my own thread or get too far off-topic. Love this forum. Appreciate your guidancd on this.

Thanks Much,
    Scott

PM or post its all good.
    I"m not tying to change your mind just offer another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    PM or post its all good.
    I"m not tying to change your mind just offer another option.
    Keith, thanks. I'll keep this short for now, since I'm working in the shop today.

1) The Epilog Zing is perfect for me EXCEPT it does not have enough power. At 30 watts and 100% power I can get through a maximum depth at about 5.0 mm of the material I use. However, some of this material is only available in thicknesses of 10-12 mm. In that case, I'm having to job out my cutting. I need a full 100 watts of power to get through these materials.

2) Even if I have that, I still want a second, low-powered CO-2 machine that is dedicated only as an engraver. Most of my products cannot be cut and engraved at the same time. They must be cut, deburred, rounded, sanded and polished, and only then, at the end stage engraved. So to avoid switching templates from cutting to engraving between runs wastes a lot of time. It is not a problem now, but we have an opportunity in our industry to double our sales in the next 2-3 years if we can frugally solve some of these problems.

What is the realistic market price for a clean, second-hand Trotec (or other quality brand laser) for me to solve my issue?

Thanks again, Ken. You're a great resource for me on this.

Scott