Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for a Change?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    I think the change is good for kids not having to walk to school in the dark. That could be adjusted by changing the start time though. When working I never liked the lack of light after work to get things done around the house. Now that I’m retired that is not an issue.
    Kids walk to school any more? The traffic line up at the grade schools and middle schools in my area suggest otherwise.

I am in a business that has clocks in 100's remote panels. It was bad enough when those clocks had to be reset twice a year. Then manufactures started auto adjusting for the time changes. Then the powers that be changed the days that this change happened, more headaches. I would be okay if time was fixed and not changing twice a year.

True story. There was a time that I was dropping my son off a summer camp in Indiana and because we were right on the edge of the time zone, maybe hotel was on one side and the camp on the other side. Anyway to be sure not to be late I asked "what time zone am I in?" He said it depends "we don't observe DST so for half the year Eastern and the other half Central time zone".

Wow! This thread just proves how soft we have become as a society. Complaining about such a trivial task, especially since most clocks change automatically, you literally don’t have to do anything. The clock on the stove and microwave take 30 seconds to do, 15 of that is finding the cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    Kids walk to school any more? The traffic line up at the grade schools and middle schools in my area suggest otherwise.
    I guess it depends on where you live. In the suburban district I retired from 3 years ago,
    Most elementary and middle school kids walked. There did seem to be more getting dropped off when I retired, but most walked. We had 4 1-8 grade schools. High schoolers needed buses or rides due to the location of the High School.

I would prefer to have DST all year long, but it wouldn't be fair to kids to have to be out for the bus in the morning darkness any more than necessary. As it is, there is twice a year that this occurs. Mid December just before the Holiday break and again in March when the time changes forward again. My youngest had to be at the bus stop at 6:45 am. And that was pretty dark in December, when Sunrise isn't until after 7 especially on cloudy days. When I visited Washburn ND the end of June years ago, sunrise was about 5 am and sunset was not until a little after 10pm Having that much daylight was a treat. I can't imagine having their winter when the sun is only up 6 or 7 hours a day

For urban and suburban areas, it makes sense to have DST. for country folk, it doesn't matter much. Although I understand the power grid conserves tens of millions a year millions a year with DST.

BTW, in 1954, DST started the last Sunday of April and ended the last Sunday of SEPTEMBER
    In 1955, DST was extended to the last Sunday of October.
    In 1987, DSt began on the first Sunday of April and ended on the last Sunday of October
    In 2007, DST started the 2nd Sunday of March and ended the first Sunday of November

From an IT work perspective I really, really don't want to change. My employer has many old systems where we might not be able to get updated time zone files. In 2006/2007 the team of eight I work with spent one to two man years doing the research and installing patches for 400+ servers and applications.

From a personal perspective I want to stay on DST year round if we change anything. It currently stays light until 10 pm or so at the end of June when it is warm enough to enjoy the long days. It would be dark by 7 pm in early August if we had year round standard time. The Minnesota legislature is looking to pass a bill to make DST year round if Congress allows. There is currently federal law that states may stay on standard time year round, but states can't stay on DST year round.

I think it’s one of those “we attack at dawn” things. You don’t want to have a few guys charging an hour early on a sneak attack. And with
    standard time ,winged victory feels more confident flying around in a dress.
    Days need to be symmetrical. That’s the beauty of “noon”

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Wow! This thread just proves how soft we have become as a society. Complaining about such a trivial task, especially since most clocks change automatically, you literally don’t have to do anything. The clock on the stove and microwave take 30 seconds to do, 15 of that is finding the cell phone.
    While for most folks, changing the clock is kinda a non-issue these days as you clearly note, there are other aspects about the time change that are more concern...health, sleep, etc. There's really no good reason for it to continue anymore in today's society.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just saw this today:

DOYLE RICE | USA TODAY
    "In the last four years, 19 states have enacted legislation or passed resolutions to provide for year-round daylight saving time, if Congress were to allow such a change, and in some cases, if surrounding states enact the same legislation," Jim Reed of the National Conference of State Legislatures told USA TODAY.
    The 19 states are: Alabama, Georgia, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Idaho, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Utah, Wyoming, Arkansas, Delaware, Maine, Oregon, Tennessee, Washington, Florida and California.

In this year's legislative session alone, six states enacted measures to make DST year-round, Reed said.
    The debate over daylight saving time, which was first enacted by the federal government during World War I as a way to conserve coal, has picked up momentum in recent years.
    The Department of Transportation, which is in charge of daylight saving time, says the practice saves energy, prevents traffic accidents and curbs crime. But sleep experts believe the health effects of losing sleep eclipses the value.
    The ultimate stumbling block for fans of year-round daylight saving time is the federal 1966 Uniform Time Act, which became law because of the random way states had been observing daylight saving time up until then. The act said states either have to change the clocks to daylight saving time at a specified time and day or stick with standard time throughout the year.
    Another perspective: Daylight saving time is 'not helpful' and has 'no upsides,' experts say. Here's why.
    The only power individual states or territories have under the act is to opt out of daylight saving time, putting them on standard time permanently. That is practiced by Arizona, Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

So despite what the states want to do, a switch to year-round daylight saving time would require a change to federal law.
    Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., has been in favor of year-round daylight saving time for several years. His Sunshine Protection Act of 2019 was an effort to end the twice-annual time changes and keep daylight saving time year-round in his state and across the nation instead of the current eight months.

The Sunshine Protection Act of 2021 was reintroduced by a bipartisan group of U.S. senators to make DST permanent across the country, and there is a companion bill in the House, Reed told USA TODAY. Another bill, H.R. 214 – the Daylight Act – would allow states to elect to observe daylight saving time for the duration of the year.
    But "no significant legislative activity has occurred on any of these bills to date," he said.
    When does the time change in 2021?: Here's when to turn back clocks on daylight saving time
    A press release from Rubio's office lists the advantages of permanent daylight time, including a reduction in car crashes, fewer cardiac problems and stroke, improved mental health, less crime, increased economic growth and increases in physical fitness.
    "Opinions remain mixed on the benefits of permanent daylight time versus permanent standard time," Reed wrote in a blog post on the National Conference of State Legislatures website. "The Internet is rife with sites extolling both sides of the debate. That said, states continue to vote in favor of year-round DST as the new normal."
    Still, the actual March and November time changes are almost universally reviled because of all the accompanying adjustments we must make, such as coming home from work in the dark and the slower-than-expected resetting of our internal time clocks, the legislatures conference said.
    Worldwide, more than 70 countries observe daylight saving time. It's known as Summer Time in some countries, including the United Kingdom and in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    A press release from Rubio's office lists the advantages of permanent daylight time, including a reduction in car crashes, fewer cardiac problems and stroke, improved mental health, less crime, increased economic growth and increases in physical fitness.
    "Opinions remain mixed on the benefits of permanent daylight time versus permanent standard time," Reed wrote in a blog post on the National Conference of State Legislatures website. "The Internet is rife with sites extolling both sides of the debate.
    The bit I always find hilarious in this topic is the "full-year DST good, full-year standard time bad" meme (or vice versa). It's not like work/school start times are set by federal law.

(Whatever idiot originally came up with the name "Daylight Savings Time" has a lot to answer for: I swear some people still have it in their heads that screwing around with the clocks actually changes the length of the day.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While for most folks, changing the clock is kinda a non-issue these days as you clearly note, there are other aspects about the time change that are more concern...health, sleep, etc. There's really no good reason for it to continue anymore in today's society.
    i would disagree that health and sleep are that affected by going back or ahead an hour. Our bodies can adjust extremely quickly unless you have a more substantial medical issue. I get 6 hours of sleep a night, so come Sunday I actually get 7 so in actuality I benefit from this. If you want to say that not having a uniform clock outside of time zones is just stupid, I could get behind that, but other reasons people mention is just ridiculous.

Wikipedia says Ben Franklin came up with the idea as a satirical joke. I find that easy to believe ,since he was fond of the ladies but not
    handsome. So he said a LOT of stuff in jest ….hoping it would be seconded. Not-Joking Time- nuttiness started around WW 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Wikipedia says Ben Franklin came up with the idea as a satirical joke. I find that easy to believe ,since he was fond of the ladies but not
    handsome. So he said a LOT of stuff in jest ….hoping it would be seconded.
    I suspect Ol' Ben would have just LOVED the Internet...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Time- nuttiness started around WW 1.
    It looks like the idea has been around for awhile: George Hudson proposed it in 1895 down in New Zealand.
    Can't figure out who first came up with that stupid name, though.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 11-04-2021 at 10:46 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    From an IT work perspective I really, really don't want to change. My employer has many old systems where we might not be able to get updated time zone files. In 2006/2007 the team of eight I work with spent one to two man years doing the research and installing patches for 400+ servers and applications.

From a personal perspective I want to stay on DST year round if we change anything. It currently stays light until 10 pm or so at the end of June when it is warm enough to enjoy the long days. It would be dark by 7 pm in early August if we had year round standard time. The Minnesota legislature is looking to pass a bill to make DST year round if Congress allows. There is currently federal law that states may stay on standard time year round, but states can't stay on DST year round.
    UTC man..

I haven't changed a clock in almost a quarter century now. I don't miss it, y'all are crazy.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 11-05-2021 at 12:36 AM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut