Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bookcase Build Thread – Probably Too Many Pics

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Mike,

An outstanding presentation of an impressive undertaking.

The execution of the molding and panel raising are particularly noteworthy.

Thanks for this -- it's inspiriational to many of us.
    JB
    Thanks a lot JB – I really appreciate the feedback. I’m happy to know some of my fellow Creekers get some value from my threads. I sometimes worry they’re too much. I don’t pretend to have all the answers. Just want to share what I’ve learned over 40 years that works for me. If someone could of done that for me when I was starting out would have made the craft more fun/less frustrating.

Don’t want people to get discouraged and miss out on the fun of Woodworking because they don’t know how to do something successfully. In my early days, lots of cussing, swearing, Tool throwing and projects that ended up in the burn pile! Come to think of it, things aren’t that different today.

Isn’t the Internet awesome!

Cheers, Mike

In answer to your musing that you may have included too many photos - no you haven't. I'm learning a lot from this build and your photos are great. As others have said, inspiring!

West of Boston East of worcester north of RI South of nashua
    Love this. Thanks for letting us follow along.

andy
    Last edited by Andy Hsieh; 11-07-2021 at 9:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Andy
    Keep Life Simple

Mike, sorry, coming in late! Always inspiring. The raised panel work is stellar. Good news about the carving…we’ll get another build soon! And trust me, as the years pass on, the corded stuff comes out more often. Just an efficient way to get to the stuff we love to do by hand. Look forward to the finished piece.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    In answer to your musing that you may have included too many photos - no you haven't. I'm learning a lot from this build and your photos are great. As others have said, inspiring!
    Thanks Mark for the feedback. I’m glad to know photos are helpful/of interest. I’m not great with the technology so managing them is a bit of a headache for me. I’ll try to keep them coming. Let me know if it gets redundant etc.

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Mike, sorry, coming in late! Always inspiring. The raised panel work is stellar. Good news about the carving…we’ll get another build soon! And trust me, as the years pass on, the corded stuff comes out more often. Just an efficient way to get to the stuff we love to do by hand. Look forward to the finished piece.
    Phil, I completely share your view that machines are great for doing the grunt work that at my age, isn’t very fun/practical, and that lets me get to the handtools stuff I enjoy faster.

There are a hand tool task that I can and have done in the past completely by hand, like plowing a reference rabbit for planing a molding. Just because I can do it do it, doesn’t mean I really enjoy it. That’s why I’m trying to incorporate the few stationary power tools I have where they can be labor saving.

For me that’s bandsaw for ripping, drill press for mortices and router table for plowing stop dadoes etc. Maybe that’s a good topic for a threat; what handtool tasks are you most likely to replace with the machine?

Best, Mike