Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Sapwood?

That pale color looks dead on the money for steamed Walnut in which case they count sap as allowed. We had an 1880 board foot pack of Walnut come in and the only thing I could land at the time was steamed and a lot of it was rejected (we had to buy more) that was almost identical in color to that stock. The steaming process darkens the sap and lightens the heart wood in an attempt to normalize the color (so they can sell you the sap).

Its very frustrating but on a purchase level to purchase unsteamed, all heart, your cost of material goes through the roof which is likely why they allow that material through.

That is interesting. Can’t help wondering if they use some kind of stabilizer since sapwood is said to be less stable. When I was a kid I was
    interested in stocks and checkering and there was always a lot of ink about “stability “

The mill we pull from (2-5 million board feet on the yard at any given time, mostly all export) just tarps the packs of walnut under heavy thick tarps and pipes high pressure steam in from their boilers that feed the dryers. Its not uncommon to get boards in a pack of #1 common (they dont grade Walnut FAS at this mill) that are pretty much all sap that may have a narrow strip of heart down one face.

Been round on this here before, Walnut is graded under a completely different scale than other hardwoods allowing way more defect and sap than most would ever imagine. I have one other source that doesnt steam and you'll get much more heartwood because of that but the cost is about 3-4x.

Interesting stuff ,Mark. I worked in a mill that avoided the steamed walnut when they could, and they had no problem paying extra.
    A lot of it came from WV. They did not use the sapwood for anything but paint grade. We would sometimes have to make wide panels and
    they were carefully gleaned and matched on time and material basis. I am still surprised that sap wood would be used for gun stocks.
    I think maple ,soft or hard ,would be preferable to any species sap wood. I didn’t realize that the word “walnut “was so powerful.

Id like to avoid sap too but when the work doesnt pay for it, it is what it is.

Steamed walnut varies by how skilled the mill is. It has to be done as quick as possible after cutting while the sap is still wet. It has to be right around the boiling point of water, too hot will dry it out, too cold will not allow the color to move. The local guy I buy from is small time and while he has 100k BF of various local species in stock he doesn't have a way to steam the wood. The difference looks like someone put a dark stain on the board on the unsteamed walnut compared to the steamed board.

Absolutely correct, Mark. I cut a black walnut log today. It was 29" in diameter and would have yielded over 300 BF of lumber had I left the sapwood on it. I got just under 200 BF of edge heartwood lumber out of it. Gorgeous stuff - and a lot of slab wood for the wood stove. I understand why the commercial guys steam walnut but the colors and clarity in unsteamed walnut are superior in every way.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Note that English Walnut is much lighter in color than black walnut. Here is a photo of English walnut.
    English Walnut in an orchard that has been pruned heavily responds to the pruning cuts by producing dark heartwood (just as, e.g., Boxelder produces it's characteristic red color in response to injury). Apple also does this.

So, e.g., this is also a photo of (orchard) English Walnut:

“I understand why the commercial guys steam walnut but the colors and clarity in unsteamed walnut are superior in every way.”

When the rules are counter intuitive , be safe and get them tattooed… “ Steamed: not so hot” — “Un- steamed : really cool”

The real issue here is that walnut's sapwood doesn't have the properties that make walnut a great material for gunstocks. It's softer, less dense, not as stable and less resistant to water damage. Sapwood and heartwood are just different materials at a cellular level.

Weatherby, being a high end, somewhat small rifle manufacturer, I'm sure hand picks their walnut for their rifle stocks. They used to be in Paso Robles, CA for many years but, like lots of businesses these days, decided to get out of Calif and I'm pretty sure they moved to Wyoming (if I remember right). Know this doesn't help ID the wood, but if the stock hasn't been replaced, I would certainly believe Weatherby.
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I believe that it’s walnut , low grade walnut. If the company has some proven way of treating sap wood with a good stabilizer …or old time
    magic they should print out info.

Pretty sure that's walnut, but it's also (to me) a beautiful stock and rifle. I would love to put that in my collection. Plain, boring rifle stocks should be banned, not the actual rifles themselves.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Endres View Post
    Pretty sure that's walnut, but it's also (to me) a beautiful stock and rifle. I would love to put that in my collection. Plain, boring rifle stocks should be banned, not the actual rifles themselves.
    I think its pretty cool looking as well but for a "Walnut" rifle stock, and this is just my personal opinion, that should have gone on some list of specials or a stock that someone see's and wants. The fact that its dead blonde (all sap on one side) and has a slight amount of heart/figure on the show side, and then you have that deep Walnut color up front... Its one that should go on a rack somewhere and not be sent out as a standard production stock. But just my $0.02. It would be the same to ship out a rippingly figured crotch flame in your production line and then everyone who gets a more uniform Walnut heartwood stock complains that they want one that "looks like that one".

I can only imagine it will get harder and harder for companies to source quality, thick, Walnut in the not too distant future (already is a bear).
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 11-08-2021 at 12:23 PM.

I agree it "might" be walnut sapwood. But using sapwood on a walnut product with all that labor is risking having a disappointed customer. This post makes that point. A Lot of my walnut products have a small area of sapwood. I like the look and so do my customers. I use Watco Black Walnut to even things out. BUT......if one of my products has lots of sapwood and wild grain I will not ship it to far off places fearing having to pay for a return. I often send a oic first. Plus, sapwood is softer and can scratchy and dent easier.

The public thinks of walnut as the formica version of walnut. That is straight grain and chocolate brown or darker.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.