Thread: 10” CBN wheels, are they out there?

10” CBN wheels, are they out there?

I’m looking at picking up an older american made grinder locally that has 10” wheels. Does anyone have a good source for 10” cbn wheels? The 10” wheels built for the Tormek system will not work in this application. The grinder is 1800rpm and one of the few made that is that large and single phase.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Talk to Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders. If he doesn't stock them, I believe he can get them. IIRC, Reed Gray knows of a source as well.

Dave Schweitzer had some 60 grit 10 inch wheels on one of his grinders when he owned D Way, so they are out there. I don't know if they are stock or not. You will probably have to look around. I don't think any of them are made in the US any more.

robo hippy

D-way has them. i have the 10" 180. Love it.

https://d-waytools.com/cbn-wheel-10-x-1-1-2-x-1/

You might consider using 8" wheels if the grinder shields don't preclude it. You would save money and have a slower, cooler cut. I run 6" cbn wheels on an 1100 rpm grinder and they take off material as fast as I need.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.

With 8” wheels being much more commonly used, I wonder if using a 10” at home might have you regrinding if you do a club demo or take class somewhere? I picked up a Sorby ProEdge when I started turning, but taking a few classes led me to adding 8” CBN for my bowl and spindle gouges so it’s less reworking for sessions away from home. Still use the ProEdge for several tools, knives, etc, so definitely not a waste. Maybe Chance Raser could add comment on his experience with that?
    earl