Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tearout on a solid Oak Top

Aaron, as I understand it, you wish to plane a slight rebate around the perimeter of the panel. I do a lot of this when preparing drawer bottoms to fit inside slips.

A nicker is for use when planing across the grain, to prevent the shoulder spelching. As Warren mentioned, ideally the nicker needs to be a smidgen on the outside of the blade. The nicker should not be needed when planing with the grain.

As Jim mentioned, if the edge of the blade is not sharp, planing with the grain with lead to spelching. I suspect that yours is not sharp.

To aid in planing across the grain, what I do is mark the shoulder with a cutting gauge. Not only should this prevent spelching - as long as the blade lies inside the line - but you can use the indent to set the nicker-fence combination, and then check the blade set up.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 11-08-2021 at 6:58 PM.

Isn't the real issue here wrapping a frame around a solid wood panel? Seasonal wood movement of that panel will become a major issue unless you live in the desert.

Hmmm...
    Door build 101, 4 cuts done.JPG
    Glued up panel of Ash...meets a wrap-around frame..
    door build 102, door #2 front.JPG

So...what is the problem?
    Bathroom Cabinet, frame parts done.JPG
    Frame parts, for 2 doors...
    Bathroom Cabinet, hung, project post.JPG

Cabinet sits in the Bathroom, right above the tank of the Toilet....YMMV...

Note: Frame is NOT glued TO the panels...Panel has about 1/16" space at the bottoms of all the grooves....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use