Thread: Finishing sequence for oak desk top

Finishing sequence for oak desk top

Looking for some advice here from the experienced finishers.

I'm using a reclaimed "butcher block" table top for the top of a desk for my teen granddaughter. The original table had some damage so I cut it lengthwise into sections, discarding the badly damaged areas. Then I jointed and planed the remainder and glued it back up. The result, so far, is pictured here:

IMG_1161.jpg

For finishing, I'd like to stain it, fill the grain, and top coat it. I like using gel stains, I have some Aqua Coat, and Arm-R-Seal. Need some assistance with the finishing sequence. Here's my preliminary plan:

1. Sand through the grits to 180.
    2. Wash coat with 50% SealCoat shellac
    3. Sand with320 or 400 to knock off the nibs
    4. Stain with gel stain
    5. Seal again with 50% SealCoat
    6. Sand again with320 or 400 to knock off the nibs
    7. Grain fill with Aqua Coat - 2 or 3 coats as needed
    8. Very lightly sand after each coat of Aqua Coat
    9. Top coat with 2 or 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal

Does this sound reasonable?

Do I need the first shellac coat (before the stain)? If it won't hurt, I'll do it, but I'm guessing it's not needed with gel stain. But, I think I should do it on the ends of the top which is all end grain to keep them from getting too dark.

Do I need the second shellac coat and should it be full strength rather than 50% cut?

I plan to finish both sides of the top the same way except omitting the grain filling on the bottom (since it's not a writing surface).

Appreciate any help you folks can give - finshing has never been a strong point of mine.

White oak stains well. The wash "coat of shellac" is sometimes used for woods that blotch, aka don't take stain evenly. Depending on what color you want when finished; the shellac will seal and fill the pores of the wood a bit, so staining will be much lighter in color.

As for the writing surface... grain fillers are relatively soft. Better to fill with a HARD, FAST DRYING, finish SHELLAC!

Here's my recommended schedule:

1. Sand through the grits to 180.
    2. Stain with gel stain
    3. Seal with de-waxed Shellac (~ 2 pound cut) (Seal Coat is a de-waxed 2 # cut)
    4. Re-coat with de-waxed Shellac.
    5. Sand with 320 to knock off the nibs.
    6. Re-coat with de-waxed Shellac. You are using the shellac to fill the grain.
    7. Sand with 320 to make the surface flat. Flat and smooth are not the same thing!!! Use a sanding block.
    8. Repeat until surface sands flat with no shiny spots.
    9. Top coat with 2 or 3 coats of a hard varnish. Waterlox is a hard phenolic resin varnish.
    10. Rub out the surface 2 weeks after final coat.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.