Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finally ordered a saw stop

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    It should work perfect in a hobby enviroment. Make sure you don't forget to run the DC on the saw. Male sure you order a spare brake and blade..
    I am huge on dust collection and have gone to some lengths to get better dust collection from my contractor saw. I have a 3hp cyclone now (new last year) that has greatly improved dust collection in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Egad Mike,

You have tripped yours TWICE with a finger?? You must be in the SS Hall of Fame!!

Glad you're OK.
    Yeah, I qualify for the dumb-a** award. But I'm glad I had the SawStop. One time I got my thumb and all I had was a small gouge in my thumb. Almost no blood - just put a band-aid on it.

The second time is too complex to describe but even without the SawStop I wouldn't have gotten seriously injured.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

"Egad Mike,

"You have tripped yours TWICE with a finger?? You must be in the SS Hall of Fame!!"
    --Rick Potter

Not even close. I run a SawStop ICS and look on the SawStop FaceBook page 2-3 times a week. There are some SawStop users there who have tripped the brake 5-6+ times and really think it is no big deal. And not all of those are caused by the miter gauge touching the blade. I do believe that for some saw users, the SawStop brake gives a false sense of security.

I had re-built my Unisaw with new motor, arbor, assembly, DC and electrics and was very happy with it. A great saw for my needs. When I built the shop in ‘15 my daughter arrived one day with a PCS/54” for me. I gave the Unisaw to a friend in need. I miss that saw, but have to say that I was just so impressed with the SS. Everything was easily at hand, laid out well and was a substantial upgrade imo. I hope that you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. Oh, and that daughter has kept me busy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    "Egad Mike,

"You have tripped yours TWICE with a finger?? You must be in the SS Hall of Fame!!"
    --Rick Potter

Not even close. I run a SawStop ICS and look on the SawStop FaceBook page 2-3 times a week. There are some SawStop users there who have tripped the brake 5-6+ times and really think it is no big deal. And not all of those are caused by the miter gauge touching the blade. I do believe that for some saw users, the SawStop brake gives a false sense of security.
    Yup, I agree but you need to treat the saw as if the safety mechanism isn't there.

I have had mine since mid May, love it. Smooth operating and is fairly quiet compared to the saw I had before.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I finally bit the bullet and ordered a saw stop, 3hp PCS with the 36" fence and ICS base. I might add the folding outfeed table at some point, or just make one. I also ordered a dado break and insert I am sure it will be a nice upgrade over my contractor saw. i am not trying to bash my existing saw, it's been great, still works fine and hopefully will be an upgrade for someone else when I sell it. I also hope / expect to have better dust collection over my contractor saw.
    Have the same setup and I upgraded from a contractor saw as well. Based on limited use so far it's awesome. Very silent, effortless cuts, very low amount of dust and safe. ICS base is very nice as well. Makes it super simple to move, if need be.

I am sure you will love you saw. Good purchase!

With the PCS in my temporary shop, I'm constantly focused on not setting off the brake accidentally while using it....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rapp, just curious as to delivery time for your SAWSTOP. Unless the components are entirely in stock and truckers are available, I was wondering what the delivery time is from the date of order. Enjoy your SS nevertheless....................

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    With the PCS in my temporary shop, I'm constantly focused on not setting off the brake accidentally while using it....
    Somewhat perversely, after getting a SawStop, I found myself exercising extra safety practices just to keep from firing the brake. But that's okay I guess because now I'm a much safer table saw user.

To me being focused on not setting off the brake has made me more careful using the saw.
    I recently replaced my PM66 with a SS PCS and am happy I did so. The 66 was built more robust and was slightly bigger overall and much heavier and I sold it for nearly what I paid for it 18 years ago. It never gave me the slightest trouble. Besides the safety feature the one thing I really like about the SS is that the blade goes straight up and down, not on a pivot like the 66. Other than that they both cut wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Somewhat perversely, after getting a SawStop, I found myself exercising extra safety practices just to keep from firing the brake. But that's okay I guess because now I'm a much safer table saw user.
    Yea...I'm just not sure if that focus is too much. There are things other than human body parts that can set it off, so it's harder to be spontaneous, which can be both good and bad. Sometimes I take "comfort" in it; sometimes I find it distracting and that's beyond having to revert to a cabinet saw and do things differently than I have been for a decade and a half with a slider. But no matter, it actually is comforting that if I happen to come into physical contact with the blade either because of that change in orientation or because of my own stupidity, I'll likely still have whatever part of my flesh happened to do the deed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries

Yep. That's true. My misfire was due to me cutting conductive UHMW. As soon as it fired I knew what I had done. I have always been a safety advocate but as stated, I approach the tablesaw cuts with an extra awareness of what I am about to do.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You wont regret it. Great saw period.

I buy insurance for everything else so I don't see saw stop as being any different, enjoy!