Thread: Profile sanding.

Profile sanding.

So we are taking on some refacing jobs this winter at our shop and will be building a lot of doors with outside profiles such as Roman ogee’s, round overs and coves. I was wanting to get some opinions on profile sanding machines for these purposes? I am not talking about hand held sanders but rather a machine from the likes of Larick or even Voorwood or Unique. We priced a basic model new Voorwood at $44,000. They can be had used for $20k or so. I hear that their patented abrasive designs are the best. We are wondering if we could possibly use their abrasive systems on a cheaper sander such as a Larick? Do any of you have experience with sanding profiles in this manor? Any advice?

This prob. isn't the best forum to ask about such machines. You'll likely receive more response over at woodweb.

Know nothing about Voorwood's abrasives , but I can spot marketing wank when I see it. Your answer is pretty simple to glean though. Do they ( their distributors ) offer the abrasive for other machines ? If not, then you can't use theor stuff with other machinces.