Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally ordered a saw stop

Finally ordered a saw stop

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a saw stop, 3hp PCS with the 36" fence and ICS base. I might add the folding outfeed table at some point, or just make one. I also ordered a dado break and insert I am sure it will be a nice upgrade over my contractor saw. i am not trying to bash my existing saw, it's been great, still works fine and hopefully will be an upgrade for someone else when I sell it. I also hope / expect to have better dust collection over my contractor saw.

That's a good saw, Justin. I'm using one that's a few years old in my temporary shop and can appreciate why folks like them relative to quality, etc. Enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congrats Justin,

I am glad I bought mine also. I have been very happy with it, and so is the wife.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Congrats Justin,

I am glad I bought mine also. I have been very happy with it, and so is the wife.
    Yup - I like my fingers attached. My son, almost 15 is getting into WW also, so now it's even double important for any safety feature I can add to my shop.

Blog Entries
    I run a 3HP PCS as my main saw now. Quality was superior to other saws in that price range, safety feature or not, when I was buying. It's been a trooper, totally happy with it
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quality to me was about the same...

Congratulations!
    I have an ICS, I've had it for years. I un intentionally just tripped my brake for the first time. Good to know the saw works.
    Awesome saw. Make sure if the saw doesn't come with an extra brake, get one, and have a spare handy. Mine did come with a spare. I can't locally get another spare right now, the local toy store is out. So I would have been out of luck if I didn't have the spare.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the saw.

Congratulations!
    I have a 1.75hp PCS with the 36 inch fence and I like it a lot. I built my own mobile base because I wanted the saw higher. I think you will be happy with it. I put mine together myself including getting it off the trailer I brought it home in. But another set of hands would definitely be useful.

Jim

I got mine this summer. As projects go, mine was fun - and an extra set of hands are DEFINITELY a bonus. And yes, putting it together WAS a project.
    I didn't get the hydraulic base, I bought the Grizzly Bear Crawl and saved a few bucks. I also bought the dado cartridge.
    Something I bought and will be replacing, is the over blade dust collector hose and attachment.
    It works fine if you're doing plain rips, but it's useless with a sled. The big overhead collector from the ICS with a 4" hose and the different configuration blade guard loks like it would be more versatile.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

good choice it is a great machine. i purchased the same one about 7 years ago and still love that saw.

I've had my PCS over ten years (wow, times really flies). I've been very happy with it. Tripped the brake twice with a finger. Each time destroyed a blade but SawStop will send you a new brake free if you sent the tripped one to them (if it tripped on flesh, not some metal).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I could go on and on about the safety of the saw, but I've done that ad nauseum. For fun you should look up the video on Youtube of Steve Gass putting his finger against the running blade captured with high speed cameras, so amazing slow motion. Everyone I show that too is stunned and amazed. I'm on my second Sawstop now (an ICS) and I love it.

You will really love the build quality, and the installation instructions are the best I've ever seen on any device. Enjoy using it for years and years.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    It should work perfect in a hobby enviroment. Make sure you don't forget to run the DC on the saw. Male sure you order a spare brake and blade..

Egad Mike,

You have tripped yours TWICE with a finger?? You must be in the SS Hall of Fame!!

Glad you're OK.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I've had my PCS over ten years (wow, times really flies). I've been very happy with it. Tripped the brake twice with a finger. Each time destroyed a blade but SawStop will send you a new brake free if you sent the tripped one to them (if it tripped on flesh, not some metal).

Mike
    Well the goal is to never have it trip on flesh. That means I made a mistake / accident and made contact with the blade. My wife did ask me if I will do the hot dog test and I told her if she wants me to spend money on a new break and blade