Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Finally ordered a saw stop

A bit late to the party-Justin, congrats on the new saw.

I've had mine for a couple months now and it came with the dust guard. I took some 2" hose and the guard to the hardware store and here's my hillbilly solution for less than $5 (and yep, right now my overarm support is paracord...). Like others have said, I'm using just the riving knife for most operations but am glad to have the dust guard for ply and mdf. Doesn't pull much air, but does a good job of capturing dust with my 2HP SSD. I suspect the blade itself provides a substantial assist.

IMG_1035 (1).jpgIMG_1452.jpg
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter;[URL="tel:3152801"
    3152801[/URL]]Glenn,

UHMW is conductive??

I bought a couple nice cutting boards at a garage sale to cut into miter bars. Haven't done it yet. I guess I should use a different saw to cut it.

Was the stuff you were cutting special, or is it all conductive?
    Conductive UMHW was used in some of the shipping assemblies for electronics where I worked. I cut regular UHMW and just didn’t have my thinking cap on when I started cutting the conductive material. All I had to do was put it in bypass mode and everything would’ve been fine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn,

Just to be safe I will try to remember to test it before turning the saw on.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Just be warned, the saw is less sensitive off than on. You might have something against the blade borderline off that would trip when off. This is a well noted "issue". My use has been if in doubt, cut in bypass (and then later find it would not have tripped)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    A bit late to the party-Justin, congrats on the new saw.

I've had mine for a couple months now and it came with the dust guard. I took some 2" hose and the guard to the hardware store and here's my hillbilly solution for less than $5 (and yep, right now my overarm support is paracord...). Like others have said, I'm using just the riving knife for most operations but am glad to have the dust guard for ply and mdf. Doesn't pull much air, but does a good job of capturing dust with my 2HP SSD. I suspect the blade itself provides a substantial assist.

IMG_1035 (1).jpgIMG_1452.jpg
    thanks - this looks like it will work well also. As long as it gets the dust, that is what counts. It's much better for our lungs to have the dust in the dust collector than in the air or all over the shop.

No one has commented about an outfeed table, so here’s what I did for my new SS. Details here:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....my-new-Sawstop
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Andrews View Post
    No one has commented about an outfeed table, so here’s what I did for my new SS. Details here:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....my-new-Sawstop
    This is on my to due list if I don't just bite the bullet and get the SS outfeed table. I been looking black melamine for a while and it's either $$$$$ or not available.

Congratulations. Good saw. Best upgrade I made to mine - other than blades and a good outfeed - was the Zero Clearance Insert from Infinity.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Maybe UHMW builds up static and the static charge triggered the saw to brake. Doesn't the saw stop have a method to shut off the safety for cutting conductive or wet material?
    SS has a bypass mode but you really, really have to want it. After it’s powered up, you turn the key until the lights change. Then you turn on the big paddle switch while holding the switch. A couple seconds after it’s up to speed you can release the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    SS has a bypass mode but you really, really have to want it. After it’s powered up, you turn the key until the lights change. Then you turn on the big paddle switch while holding the switch. A couple seconds after it’s up to speed you can release the key.
    thanks Roger - now that I have the saw here, i've gone through the owners manual and tested out bypass.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!