Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Track saw? or is there better option? Opinions requested

For what it's worth, here's my .02 cents worth. I recently remodeled our kitchen and one bathroom. Wound up using over 16 sheets of ply and approx. 350 bf of lumber. A large project. It would have cost me in excess of $34,000 if I had let a "professional cabinet shop" do the work. I have a Bora system that I used extensively for all my ply cuts. Using a skill saw gave me terrible cuts. I had to over-cut each piece with the Bora system and circ. saw, then took it to the tablesaw for final, clean cuts. Seeing that the Bora tracks are not "zero clearance", the cuts were splintery. I did get straight cuts, but it was not a good finishing cut. Another negative is having to measure both ends, try to align each end, trying not to move it before clamping, then rechecking to make sure it didn't move, and make the cut. You have to allow for the offset on each cut too! Mine was 1 1/2". The Bora saw plate is made of plastic and the clamps have a problem keeping the saw aligned. They can and will break. I resorted to bolting mine down. That took some ingenuity to do. I was able to finish the project with this setup, saving approx. $24,000 by doing it myself.
    Bottom line, I contemplated buying a real track saw, but didn't. I totally regret that decision. I will not make that mistake again. For a one off small project, my system would have been fine. But for anything else, it would have made my life and work flow so much easier by having a true track saw.
    I am currently deciding between the Makita and the Kreg. Leaning heavily towards the Makita because of the compatibility of different tracks and accessories from other companies.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I’ve enjoyed using the Makita corded track saw for several years. And the Dewalt clamps are excellent. sometimes we only think of track saws for sheet goods, but I’ve used mine to modify generic box store cabinets and other odd cuts that required precision but not amenable to be done with a TS. If you can put a track on it and stabilize the workpiece a track saw do wonders.

I was all set to buy a pair of the Dewalt clamps based on the recommendations here until I read MANY Amazon reviews all saying pretty much the same thing:

"The photo shows the current version of this clamp (top) and the previous version of this clamp (bottom). Both have the same Dewalt part number. The positive Amazon reviews for this clamp are for the old version (definitely not the current). The design, quality and functionality of the current clamp has been substantially downgraded compared with the old which I have used for years and liked. Not nearly as robust, and the plastic clamp head falls of constantly. It wasn't broke, so I don't know why Dewalt felt compelled to fix it. Trying cut cost they ruined a good product."
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 11-09-2021 at 7:03 PM.

I have a mafell crosscut saw, tracksaw, and just picked up the jigsaw. Everything is excellent, dust collection is great, and you can really push the tools while still getting excellent results. The tracksaw and crosscut saw are cordless.

The only complaint I could possibly have would be in comparing it to festool, there just aren't any aftermarket jigs, guides, add-ons to use with mafell. Track clamps by mafell are over $100 a piece and the price on mafell stuff skyrocketed this year. While the one vendor in the states does a great job with their customer service, I feel like mafell has cut their own legs out by not allowing the tools to be more widely sold, and consequently upgraded. The core tool however, is excellent.

I’m a fan of the ratcheting style clamps for the Makita track saw. I have a pair of Bessey GTR16S6H, strong and versatile clamps that I found after being scared away by the Dewalt reviews. I rarely need to clamp down the track so these are used more often to clamp down jigs or in cases where the narrow bar fits just right. I filed off the retaining divot, drilled a hole in the bottom of the bar, and added an R clip which makes it easy to separate the pieces and raise the bar through a dog hole (ratchet above the table) which is my favorite way to use these when they’re not on a track.

Currently using the track saw to rip stickers for air drying, like most cuts no clamps needed.

I had not heard that current DeWalt track clamps may be different from the ones I bought several years ago. I'd have to see them to have a good opinion on them. Mine work like typical quick clamps. You squeeze them and they clamp down. They are sturdy. I have grizzly's screw type clamps. I use them in my work table to secure things but I don't use them to clamp my tracks. They would work for that but the DeWalts do it better. But the DeWalt clamps I have cannot be inserted into a work table because of the way the metal head is attached. I also have Bessey clamps that work like Festool's quick clamps. They would work for clamping tracks too and might be a good alternative to DeWalt's if they are not good any more. There is also a Chinese made copy of the Festool clamps that get good reviews. You can work this style clamp easily with one hand and they clamp tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    I have a mafell crosscut saw, tracksaw, and just picked up the jigsaw. Everything is excellent, dust collection is great, and you can really push the tools while still getting excellent results. The tracksaw and crosscut saw are cordless.

The only complaint I could possibly have would be in comparing it to festool, there just aren't any aftermarket jigs, guides, add-ons to use with mafell. Track clamps by mafell are over $100 a piece and the price on mafell stuff skyrocketed this year. While the one vendor in the states does a great job with their customer service, I feel like mafell has cut their own legs out by not allowing the tools to be more widely sold, and consequently upgraded. The core tool however, is excellent.
    I agree. It's a beast, but very well made, with a better track and works extremely well, on thick woods that the Festool balks at (at least the TS55). But $$$ and no aftermarket parts.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

For the money, I would consider shop aids/carts for moving the ply sheets to the table saw. There are tilt table cart plans (and a commercial cart from Rockler) available to handle sheet goods on edge, and tilt them to horizontal for the table saw (the Rockler Material Mate Panel Cart's height is adjustable), as well as transferring them from the bed of the pick-up, then rolling over to the table saw. I don't know if it is easily height-adjustable with a sheet of plywood or two on it, but I kinda doubt it. The Rockler has 4" diameter casters (2 fixed, 2 swivel w/lock) that would help with rolling over less than smooth surfaces.

I don't (yet) own the Rockler cart, but I am considering it for my shop. I own a couple of their shop-stands, and am very happy with them, except the oldest one's caster tires did not hold up and had to be replaced after several years. The Rockler Material Mate Panel Cart's tires look to be improved from the ones that failed on my oldest shop stand.

Just a thought...

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I had not heard that current DeWalt track clamps may be different from the ones I bought several years ago. I'd have to see them to have a good opinion on them. Mine work like typical quick clamps. You squeeze them and they clamp down. They are sturdy. I have grizzly's screw type clamps. I use them in my work table to secure things but I don't use them to clamp my tracks. They would work for that but the DeWalts do it better. But the DeWalt clamps I have cannot be inserted into a work table because of the way the metal head is attached. I also have Bessey clamps that work like Festool's quick clamps. They would work for clamping tracks too and might be a good alternative to DeWalt's if they are not good any more. There is also a Chinese made copy of the Festool clamps that get good reviews. You can work this style clamp easily with one hand and they clamp tight.
    I didn't expect you to have kept up with changes in the Dewalt clamps and I did appreciate the recommendation.

My Maffel saw uses Bosch tracks and the Bosch clamps have excellent reviews... at $65 for a pair. I was hoping to find a deal with the Dewalt clamps but it looks like I just need to bite the bullet and pay the Bosch price. I have been using my track saw without any track clamps and it has been working great. I have some 1/2" acrylic sheet (plexi-glas) I need to cut and any movement would be very expensive so it is time to just pay for them.

We use Powertec clamps with the saw at church. I do not love them, my hand gets too close to the material I am cutting when I am tightening them, but they work and they are not expensive. If you only occasionally use them, they might be good enough. "Drillpro" ratcheting clamps are about $20 each. I have Besseys that work the same. They are both copies of the Festool clamp. It's a different type clamp but I like my Besseys for my MFT style work table.

Yeah the first Track saw I bought was the Makita. I liked it but the transition to the plunge mode seemed a little finicky at least to me. If I had kept it long I might have had better luck once I got a feel for it. Just so happens that a buddy of mine was looking for a Track Saw so I made him a deal on it - he has never complained to me about being finicky to plunge it. Anyway, I bought one from Toolnut - a Festool TS55. The plunging mechanism seemed more precise to me. I do buy Makita rails because they are cheaper