Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Track saw? or is there better option? Opinions requested

1. I have the Kreg ACS with the Kreg Track - I did not buy the wheels with the system , just set the project table on the 36 inch high 2 ft x 6 ft. Bora centipede stand. Very satisfied with the Kreg track saw and the ACS mainly purchased it because of the safety features . Has a riving knife and a lock system that prevents the saw from kicking back when on the rail . Go to Kreg website and check out ACS system . Kreg is offering some very good specials including the ACS system . Kreg offers a 20 per cent discount to veterans and over $100 free shipping .Reason I use the Bora centipede 2 x 6 table it puts the project table at 36 inches in height , which I like , much easier to hold saw when sawing.

I've been quite happy with my corded Makita.

Bosch also make a nice track saw, cuts as good as the festool. got the bosch after the festool burned out. no difference in cut quality or dust pick up. One thing i would consider is the battery operateed saws.

I purchased the Makita recently for an upcoming project.

I haven’t started that project yet, but I did use it on a shop table I was working on. The table top is laminated 3/4”x2” (face glued for a 2” thick top) oak strips 7’6” long. I was making three sections of 10-11” width for a final glue up of 32” width.
    One of the sections had a slight edge bow and I really didn’t want to just clamp it closed.
    Point being, after several unsuccessful attempts to straighten it on my short 6” jointer I decided to try the track saw.
    To my eye the edge came out perfectly with no discernible gap when placed against another section. The saw had plenty of power to cut through the oak. Dust collection was very good with a small shop vac.

The DeWalt track clamps are great. I ordered PowerTec clamps for the church only because they were much cheaper. They do not work nearly as well. For my money, I would have ordered the DeWalt.

I like my DeWalt but a key advantage of the Makita in my mind is that it uses the same style track as the Festool so many accessories sold for the Festool also work for the Makita. I am quite comfortable since I've made my positioning guides (simple movable stop devices with a stick on tape and hairline pointer) I don't want or need the Festool style accessories but for some that could be a key factor. I don't think the Makita has a riving knife, however, the DeWalt does. Biggest disadvantage of the DeWalt is the blade changes are too complicated. I don't do it often so it's OK.

I have the TS75 and the Makita cordless. Love both. Makita cut is just as good as the TS75, and cordless which is nice, but for multiple sheets and thick stock I use the TS. Festool tracks work with both. Used a friends Dewalt, was not impressed. My 2 cents.

I had a Festool TS55EQ and loved it.
    I went with a cordless Makita though, only because I can take the saw to the store and break down sheet goods there for transport home.
    Both work very well.

Wen, Triton, Makita and Festool all use the same style track - so - there's a saw at nearly any price point.

The one thing to keep in mind when choosing a saw is - they will all probably cut a straight line, even a shop made guide using a 2x4 & a couple of C-clams - - but - - how good is that cut & will it be the exact angle it should be?
    Both the Festool I had and the Makita I have - made/make prefect angles with zero tear out- - something my shop made guide with a circular saw can't do.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've owned the Festool TS55 for a number of years. There are lots of good things about it, but it is relatively underpowered. If going the Festool route, I personally think the TS75 (which wasn't available when I bought mine) is the better choice, albeit more expensive. I just find that the TS55 stalls too much.

I recently purchased the Mafell K85, with its tracks. Significantly more expensive, and it is a beast to operate, as it is quite heavy. That being said, it saws through 8/4 wood like butter. The Mafell track system has a much better way to connect tracks than the Festool - dead on straight and solid. I want to use it some more and then post a more extensive review, but clearly a step above the Festools.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Another possible approach if you are like me and prefer using a table saw but just hate horsing around sheets, a lift cart or tip cart can make loading a saw a lot nicer. In my opinion, once that sheet is on the saw it's easy to position. Can't beat a table saw, especially a slider, for fast and repeatable. I personally use a little walk behind skid steer a lot to load and move sheets.

I wrestled with the decision to purchase a track saw for nearly a year. I finally decided to order one when the Dewalt saw went on sale with the long and short tracks (103" and 54" I believe). I also bought the Dewalt vacuum with auto filter purge. It was a big investment, but I don't regret spending the money one bit. It has made my life very easy when dealing with sheet goods. I get clean accurate cuts, and the dust collection is excellent. I don't think you can go wrong with Dewalt, Festool, or Makita. I did not get the cordless saw, because I have a vacuum hose connected to the saw anyway, so what's the difference if I have a cord too. Since buying this, I've adopted the moto of buy the best, and only cry once. Good luck on your search.

11. I think we all can agree that a good circular saw can give the same quality cut as a Festool. The differences come with the quality and ease and pleasure in using. Personally, the quality of the tool and the ease or pleasure handling something well engineered and built is just as important. You get what you pay for almost always.

Additionally, the entire Festool lineup works well together, which is a huge factor for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    I think we all can agree that a good circular saw can give the same quality cut as a Festool...
    Not true. There are many cuts a track saw can make that a circular saw simply cannot do, such as tearout-free cuts.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I’m with Steve R. I recently switched over to sliding tablesaw and it really makes it easier for handling sheet goods in combination with a hydraulic lift cart. It is not an inexpensive option but my back thanks me every time I use it.
    FC9D0FDC-44A5-49A7-AB1A-4F3EE7FF13FD.jpg

Track saw

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    The differences come with the quality and ease and pleasure in using. Personally, the quality of the tool and the ease or pleasure handling something well engineered and built is just as important. You get what you pay for almost always.

Additionally, the entire Festool lineup works well together, which is a huge factor for some.
    I bought a Festool TS55 about fourteen years ago, when they still had a patent. I got the 105 & the 55 tracks. I loved how easy it was to cut down sheet goods and it had great dust collection. I learned that I didn't need a table saw with a 52" fence.

I've been picking up sheet goods at the stores for years, getting them home and putting them on fold down plastic saw horses (and 3" piece of hard foam) in the driveway. Cut them down to manageable sizes and putting them in the garage. I was amazed at the almost chip free cuts and actually built a set of cabinets in my parents garage with just the track saw and a portable router table. I put in a laminate floor with it, too. But the laminate did a number on the saw blade and I had to get it resharpened.

I agree that the TS55 is underpowered. I would buy a TS75 if I did it over again (for 8/4 stock, not sheet goods). A cordless would be nice to use in the driveway, when the sawdust can just blow away, but in a shop, I use the vacuum anyways, so the cord isn't a problem.

The best part of the whole system is the accuracy. You can set the blade depth down to the MM. You can just mark two marks on a sheet and set the rail down on the two marks, clamp it down and cut. If you need an edge to run out by 1/16" over an 8' cut, you just mark as such and put down the rail. If you need to cut triangles, you just set the rail and cut to your marks.

When the current one eventually dies, I'll replace it.

Need to decide the thickness of wood you will be working with.

I went with the ts75 because I want to be able to cut a 45 over 2" thickness. I also researched tracks and compatibility. The Makita tracks are close but there's an extra tab on the makita that prevents festool accessories. I didnt want to limit myself and got a 1900 track and a 1600 holey track.