Thread: Makita festoon tracksaw question

Makita festoon tracksaw question

I have a makita tracksaw. It came with I think a 50” fence. I can buy another 50” fence to extend mine, but I’m not fond of having a joint in my fence. My question is, will my makita saw work on the longer festoon fence?

yes but a joint is not an issue

Makita & Festool tracks are generally considered compatible. (There's one difference that's important only in rare cases. So rare I don't remember the specifics.)

If you want a long track, generally it's Festool owners looking at the cheaper Makita 118" track asking about compatablity.

As has been noted, Festool and Makita (and if I'm not mistaken, Mafele) all have compatible tracks from the tool perspective. PowerTec on Amazon is also compatible. What you cannot necessarily do is join two brands together as there seem to be some minor differences that make that not work well. David is correct that the longer Makita tracks are less costly than the Festool version.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Makita tracks have an extra ridge on them that the saw hooks under to keep the saw from tilting out of the track which is especially useful when making a bevel cut. Otherwise they are the same as Festool tracks and the Makita saws ride on the Festool tracks just fine without hooking onto the track for the extra support when beveling.

Mafell uses the same tracks as Bosch and has a unique linking system that keeps the two tracks automatically perfectly aligned so you don't get a bump in the center. Nothing else that I am aware of is compatible with these tracks. Mafell saws have an extra notch in their baseplates to make the saws able to use Festool tracks.

The third common track variant that I am aware of are the Dewalt tracks which are a different profile than the Bosch and Festool profiles. I believe Dewalt saws have an extra notch in the base plate so they can ride on Festool tracks. The Dewalt tracks are designed to be double sided, you can cut on either side of the track and there is a splinter strip on each side of the track which is nice if you commonly use two different blades with a slightly different tooth set.

I purchased a Mafell saw specifically due to the ease of joining two tracks together and the tracks automatically aligning themselves when they are joined. I am impressed with the Maffel/Bosch track system and the ease of joining the tracks without having to spend any extra effort to align the two pieces. I have two 63" Bosch tracks for my Mafell and do get jointer quality cuts with my saw even over the join.

2021-11-01_184139.png2021-11-01_184215.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 11-01-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Just buy two more tracks and a joining kit and accurately lock two tracks together for your long track and leave them together. We have the makita in the shop without a complaint and were unwilling to pay the freight on a single length long track so we clipped two together permanently and the long track hangs on the wall (rarely used). I know people are expecting jointer level/glue line rips out of long tracks from all track saws but thats a fools errand in my opinion.

I join tracks when using the track saw at church and I use a long track when in my shop at home. Both work fine. I prefer to have a long track but you need to figure out where you will store it. It can be in the way. I have it on the inside of my garage door which works well. I made simple L brackets of scrap plywood but there are commercial versions.

If you join tracks, you need a long straight edge to align the two tracks before tightening the grub screws. A 4-6 foot level works.

Having a single long track and a short track not only speeds up your work but it’s a lot less frustrating and fussy.

I would caution you to try to have the same tracks for both. Reason being is the rail that the track rides on can be different from brand to brand. It might only be a millimeter or two but that’s enough to get slop in the saw.

FWIW, my Festool track joint would flex slightly with one joint/connecting 'rod'. Easily fixed when I added a second rod. Now, no flex. YMMV.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    FWIW, my Festool track joint would flex slightly with one joint/connecting 'rod'. Easily fixed when I added a second rod. Now, no flex. YMMV.

I use two on my Makita as well for the same reason. As to fussiness, I agree. The times I have to join the tracks for accurate long cuts I just hold a straight edge against them while tightening the connectors. The frequency that I cut full sheets is minimal so the fussiness doesn't really bother me. If I was going to do a lot of work with plywood and composites I would probably have a dedicated long (or coupled pair of shorter) track(s). I will add that as much as I wanted my tricked out shop made circular saw guide to be as good as a track saw, a commercial track and saw combo it is a whole different world. Like a sled for the tablesaw, it makes things so much easier and more accurate I wonder why I waited so long.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-02-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Makita will work on a Festool fence except for the locking bevel feature that Michael already mentioned.

Joining two tracks can produce perfectly acceptable results when done properly. Using only one connector is not the proper way. Complaining about results because one didn't follow the instructions in the manual is ridiculous. These are the best (festool style) joining bars around today:

https://tsoproducts.com/accessories/...il-connectors/

There are some forward thinkers that are advocating an approach of using a TSO bar on the bottom and a Makita on the top claiming better /sturdier results because of the higher locking pressure the Makita offers.
    https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/P-20177

There has even been a rumor that Festool themselves are coming out with a new joining arrangement along the same lines. Take this info with a grain of salt.

Makita rails are cheaper, especially the longer you go. That savings comes with risk though. A curved rail isn't very useful for finished work and Festool's quality control appears to be better with regard to getting a straight rail. YMMV. Just be aware of the gamble and your usage. A slightly bowed cut isn't going to matter for a sheathing panel but it will if you're making a pantry cabinet.

Thanks everyone. I ended up just ordering another 55” makita and coupler. I have only used my track saw once in 2 years, but am going to insulate and line our garden shed. Wish I knew how to post pics, it’s really cute

Quote Originally Posted by mike johnston View Post
    Thanks everyone. I ended up just ordering another 55” makita and coupler. I have only used my track saw once in 2 years, but am going to insulate and line our garden shed. Wish I knew how to post pics, it’s really cute
    You’re going to need TWO couplers to join the Makita rails and use them - regardless of brand.

To add a photo, click the icon circled in this pic:
    4F923974-3BBC-493B-AD46-0B49336F7F0C.jpg